Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I have an interview for Civil Engineering on the 3rd of December but would like to know what happens if you bring one of your parents.

Do most people come with one of their parents? If they do, what happens? As in, when you have the group discussion, do they join you or something?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Don't?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that your parent would have to just wait outside...

ReputationRep:
    Do not under any circumstances whatsoever bring your parents to an imperial interview.

ReputationRep:
    Really don't. It'll make you look as if you can't do anything for yourself. If they insist on coming to London with you, don't, for pity's sake, let them come in to the interview room with you.

ReputationRep:
    You're off to uni on your own, and yet you can't even get to London and get to an interview on your own?
    Really, go on your own! Grow up!
    (Unless you've got something like Aspergers, in which case, go with your parents!)
    But let's be honest, isn't it a bit embarrassing to have your mummy and daddy with you? :/

Just being honest

ReputationRep:
    The truth is that most applicants are accompanied to interview/open days by parents or other adults. It has nothing to do with hand-holding, but is all about helping the applicant find out as much information as possible. Most universities put on separate tours for parents, and allow a good look at accommodation as well as the teaching facilities. Parents are genberalkl better at seeking the truth about shortcomings, and often have a good idea for pratcical problems that the inexperienced candidate may not think of.

Obviously, the parent should not go anywhere the interview room itself.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents came to my interview last Wednesday, they had a separate tour for parents etc and we all met up again at the end. My parents wanted to know more about the university I wanted to study at and where I'd likely be living the next 4 years of my life.

What's the problem with that?

ReputationRep:
    You would be NUTS to bring a parent to an interview. It is YOUR interview, not theirs.
    Unless of course you want to look like a dependent and needy person in front of all your future peers (who will all be there on their own) and lecturers (if I were a lecturer I would probably reject someone for bringing their parent. If they can't cope at an interview on their own then how would they possibly cope in class?).

mituozo - because YOU'RE the one who'll be spending 4 years of your life there, not your parents, and it's your decision, not theirs?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be too embarressed!

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it would be normal to take a parent along, not to go into the actual interview, but that they got to look around the uni/accomodation and see where your going to be possibly spending the next 3/4 years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend it simply because your parents will have nothing to do when you're doing your experiment and interview. If they don't mind waiting, then by all means take them if you would like, but I don't think many others will.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think that men are far more dependent that girls. Look at female v male replies above!
    At one open day I was at (alone) every guy had their parent/s with them, and about half the girls did.
    My mum's vaguely aware of where I'm applying, and I'll probably take her on a nice trip to the two I plan on putting as firm and insurance, but nothing more. Really, God no. I'd be too embarrassed!

Just don't let your laundry pile up then bring it home once a term!

ReputationRep:
    My word, so many people appear embarrassed by their parents, whats the big deal? Its just your mum and dad, for Christ's sake. Imperial will simply acknowledge the fact that, shock horror, you have PARENTS!!! ARRRRRGH!!

Obviously, they should not come into the actual interview room with you, but if they wish to see the university for themselves, I don't see why they cant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    mituozo - because YOU'RE the one who'll be spending 4 years of your life there, not your parents, and it's your decision, not theirs?
    Soo what.. you turn 18, apply to uni and just leave your parents at home for the whole thing? They've spent the best part of 20 years raising you & care about where you're going in life and want you to be safe.. My mother came with me to interview (not into the actual interview obviously), but she wanted to see the uni and where i'd be living and know more about the course because she cares & cares that im doing the right thing for me.. Plus, i do value her opinion, and while all the decisions i made were my own, and she knows that.. She just likes to feel included as its a tough time for parents aswell, losing their kid for the first time to the other side of the country and having no control over their life & keeping them safe etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    I wouldn't recommend it simply because your parents will have nothing to do when you're doing your experiment and interview. If they don't mind waiting, then by all means take them if you would like, but I don't think many others will.
    Are you saying I should take the train down then? is that what you did?

Oh and to everyone, I meant along to the interview day, not in the actual room. BUT are you saying don't bring my parent along to any interview day at all? or just don't bring them to the Imperial interview day?

It just seemed easier to get a lift down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)

Oh and to everyone, I meant along to the interview day, not in the actual room. BUT are you saying don't bring my parent along to any interview day at all? or just don't bring them to the Imperial interview day?

I think you'll find we are split between those that advise taking advantage of the travel convenience, and availability of experience and advice to discover information and inform your decision, and those that want to emphasise their independence and the rite of passage into adulthood. It's your call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    You would be NUTS to bring a parent to an interview. It is YOUR interview, not theirs.
    Unless of course you want to look like a dependent and needy person in front of all your future peers (who will all be there on their own) and lecturers (if I were a lecturer I would probably reject someone for bringing their parent. If they can't cope at an interview on their own then how would they possibly cope in class?).

Yeah, but aren't they allowed to be in any way curious? Once I turn 18 and go off to uni, my family's not allowed to be interested in my life? Most of the people at the interview day were there with parents, over half that in my group anyway. Most of those that weren't with their parents were from London.

You're being absolutely ridiculous. My parents asking to come along and looking around the uni whilst I was there says NOTHING about my character or how independent I am. It's not like they came into the interview and held my hand throughout.

I've been running a business on my own for the past 2 years, employ 5 people and we turn over a six figured amount each year. That's through no help of my parents - I do everything. Yet I'm somehow "incapable" due my parents attending a university visit/interview day?

ReputationRep:
    My Mum says that when she was going to Uni, literally no-one brought their parents to open days or interviews or anything. But now, almost everyone I know does. Interesting culture shift there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)

Or the coach - getting the coach down to London by yourself is easy, and often cheaper.

Edit: So long as they don't go inside the actual interview with you I don't see the problem really!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.