Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll go on my own, I can get a train to London Paddington station then walk to it. I'd rather go on my own anyway

Thank you everyone for commenting

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy not being part of the cotton wool generation

ReputationRep:
    The replies on this thread are ******* hillarious and ridiculous.

To the people who say "you will be rejected for not showing independence etc": HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. You guys are ******* retarded in the true sense of the word.

To the people who say "Parents offer life experience and expertise": Your parents aims will be different to yours, and thus they will be biased towards different views and oppinions. If by this age you cannot form your own decision of what you like and what you dont, then you really don't belong to university let alone imperial.

ReputationRep:
    When I was down at Bath and UCL, quite a few people brought their parents along. I mean, clearly, they'll have to wait outside during the interview and stuff but there's nothing wrong with bringing them if you want.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by aria57)
    The replies on this thread are ******* hillarious and ridiculous.

To the people who say "you will be rejected for not showing independence etc": HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. You guys are ******* retarded in the true sense of the word.

To the people who say "Parents offer life experience and expertise": Your parents aims will be different to yours, and thus they will be biased towards different views and oppinions. If by this age you cannot form your own decision of what you like and what you dont, then you really don't belong to university let alone imperial.
    Well aren't you a rude little boy.

Which side do you lie on exactly? Since you have just ridiculed both sides. If you really do go to Imperial I very much hope that you are a very bad example for what a student acts like. If everyone were as arrogant, rude and generally nasty as you I'd be amazed anyone went at all.

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short about the unis offering my course... I only ended up looking at 2, my insurance and firm. My firm was about 30 miles from home so I went down there on the train with a couple of mates.
    However! My insurance was Kingston on Thames, so my Mum drove me up there for the day, as it was a pain to get public transport to from home. I decided after the tour that I didn't like the place, and didn't really want to go to the subject talk as i'd already made up my mind. Her advice was awesome.. she said "Why don't we go round the shops then?"

Ahhh Mums <3

I don't think it's a major issue to bring parents to the open day, but DON'T take them to the interview itself!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    Are you saying I should take the train down then? is that what you did?

Oh and to everyone, I meant along to the interview day, not in the actual room. BUT are you saying don't bring my parent along to any interview day at all? or just don't bring them to the Imperial interview day?

It just seemed easier to get a lift down.
    No no, not at all. You shouldn't feel as though you have to change your plans because some people on an internet forum disagree. If taking the car down with your family is easiest then do that. I took the tube on my own, but that's because I live in London anyway, and had already asked my parents to give me lifts to three other distant unis. I guess what I was trying to get across earlier, is that Imperial interviews aren't very parent-friendly.

Best of luck with your interview by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Strange, I dont think anyone had there parents there with them at my inteviews. I wouldnt say that it would reflect badly on you if you did take them with you though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I have an interview for Civil Engineering on the 3rd of December but would like to know what happens if you bring one of your parents.

Do most people come with one of their parents? If they do, what happens? As in, when you have the group discussion, do they join you or something?

Thank you
    /lame :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahl89)
    Soo what.. you turn 18, apply to uni and just leave your parents at home for the whole thing?
    Yes.

They've spent the best part of 20 years raising you & care about where you're going in life and want you to be safe..
    Of course. And if they've raised you right, then they'll trust you to make the right decision about where you'll be safe and happy. They don't need to hold your hand the whole way.

My mother came with me to interview (not into the actual interview obviously), but she wanted to see the uni and where i'd be living and know more about the course because she cares & cares that im doing the right thing for me.. Plus, i do value her opinion, and while all the decisions i made were my own, and she knows that..
    I valued the opinion of my parents as well in the decision-making process. I distinctly remember (even though it was 5 years ago!) going to them with my longlist and having them help me make it into a shortlist.

She just likes to feel included as its a tough time for parents aswell, losing their kid for the first time to the other side of the country and having no control over their life & keeping them safe etc..
    It is a big change, but not as tough as you're making it out to be, I don't think. Being a good parent is about letting your kid be independent and allowing them to spread their wings, not about encouraging them to hold onto the apron-strings for as long as is humanly possible.

Are you saying I should take the train down then?
    I think most people do, don't they? I took the train to Exeter alone for my open days there (3 hours on the train) and would have taken the train alone to Manchester and Nottingham if necessary (which I guess would have taken longer). I would also be very surprised if your parents have nothing better to do that day...like going to work...

(Original post by mituozo)
    Yeah, but aren't they allowed to be in any way curious? Once I turn 18 and go off to uni, my family's not allowed to be interested in my life?
    Of course they're allowed to be curious and interested (don't be so overdramatic!), but this doesn't have to equate to tagging along to an interview. As I said, there's a big difference between talking it through with your parents and having them come along with you and ask all the questions which, with a little research, you'd know to ask for yourself. Admittedly the only interview I had any experience of was Oxford's, but there was certainly no facility for parents on interview days and I would be surprised if most unis had this kind of arrangement to take the parents off to do something else during your interview. On open days, yes; interview days, no (although I still wouldn't bother taking parents even to open days :p: since as I said, it's not their decision. And if you can't make the decision of which uni to go to by yourself, should you even be going? You'll face much bigger decisions in future, trust me).

You're being absolutely ridiculous. My parents asking to come along and looking around the uni whilst I was there says NOTHING about my character or how independent I am.
    Calm down love, it's just an opinion. You don't have to agree. If you feel that affronted then maybe you should do something about it.

This. My parents didn't even go to university, so how would they know what questions to ask and what kind of uni I should go to better than I do?
    Even for those whose parents did go to university, chances are they went at least 20 years ago, and times were pretty different then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Even for those whose parents did go to university, chances are they went at least 20 years ago, and times were pretty different then.
    Actually, I was surprised to see that many things, about accommodation in particular, hadn't changed. Anyway it is about life experience rather than university experience. Most parents are far better at dragging information that they don't want to reveal out of university staff than are most applicants, and can usually read between the lines of weazle words rather better.

ReputationRep:
    Think the accommodation thing definitely depends on the uni (if my and my auntie's experiences, both at Exeter Uni, are anything to go by)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    No no, not at all. You shouldn't feel as though you have to change your plans because some people on an internet forum disagree. If taking the car down with your family is easiest then do that. I took the tube on my own, but that's because I live in London anyway, and had already asked my parents to give me lifts to three other distant unis. I guess what I was trying to get across earlier, is that Imperial interviews aren't very parent-friendly.

Best of luck with your interview by the way!
    So basically, Parent + Imperial = NO

and Parent + Other Uni = Acceptable?

ReputationRep:

Think of it this way:

Parent + any university = acceptable

Decision = yours, based on your own wishes, needs and circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Of course. And if they've raised you right, then they'll trust you to make the right decision about where you'll be safe and happy. They don't need to hold your hand the whole way.
    She does trust me to make my own decisions, and i decided what i was studying and where to go, not her.. she wasn't holding my hand through it, if anything really i was holding hers as she hadnt really the first clue about uni applications or alevels etc, i think she'd have been quite hurt if i'd wanted to go to all these things without her completely.

It is a big change, but not as tough as you're making it out to be, I don't think. Being a good parent is about letting your kid be independent and allowing them to spread their wings, not about encouraging them to hold onto the apron-strings for as long as is humanly possible.
    I think you're being a bit blaze about this really! It is a very tough change, my mothers finding it very difficult anyway! Says she has no one to talk to who she can get a decent conversation out of anymore! (13yr old sister, & my dad, who is utterly useless & rarely spoken to).
    There are no apron strings & shes not encouraging that - imean im 6 hours away from her now and although she found that hard to accept she still encouraged me to do it! Why don't you think its tough? You spend 20 years bringing up a child and then all of a sudden one day they're gone & you're left at home alone with no havoc or noise or people to look after then you look in the mirror and realise you're 20 years older than you were last time you had this much time to think about your own life.. that you're not gonna have little kiddies running round your feet ever again probably, wondering what to do next, i cant imagine how hard that is..

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I find it sad when people find their parents embarrassing . I love my parents...

ReputationRep:

Nono, not at all. I agree with exactly what Good Bloke said. Your parents being there, or not being there isn't going to influence your interview. It's more a question of whether you want to travel by car or by train, whether you'd prefer to have your parents there, and if they would mind waiting around.

To be honest, it matters very little in the long run, but if my parents offered me a lift, I would take it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well my Dad's coming with me. I've never been to London before, I've been on a train maybe 3 other times in my life and I leave the 30-mile radius of my village maybe once or twice a year. I would never be able to go from North Wales to London for 11am in the morning alone. Now, if I lived in London then he probably wouldn't come along. He's coming purely for travel reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Well aren't you a rude little boy.

Which side do you lie on exactly? Since you have just ridiculed both sides. If you really do go to Imperial I very much hope that you are a very bad example for what a student acts like. If everyone were as arrogant, rude and generally nasty as you I'd be amazed anyone went at all.

I ridiculed the extremes of both views. I.e. people are taking extremist views on both, and they are making fools out of themselves.

Let me reiterate so even you can understand.
    1) You will not be rejected for bringing parents, the lecturers really really don't give a ****.
    2) You shouldn't let your parents decide your university, but if you really really want to, you can take their view into account.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.