taking IGCSE subjects

Watch this thread
LILIsu
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really need someone's suggestion for me. Which subject should I choose ICT or Computer Science? I am thinking of my future in advance. I heard ICT is easier and useless than CS from many people, is it right? As I have no experience in CS already, I am afraid of losing my GCSEs if I choose CS without taking ICT. Is ICT useless for me? Additionally, I still have no idea to choose which career part. So, can you suggest at least for me?

Extra: I have already taken EFL, Math, A-Math, Physics, Chemistry, and Business.
zhengelse
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Well it depends what you would like to do in the future. However, in my opinion you don’t really need to necessarily to choose Computer Science now because let’s say even though you didn’t choose Computer Science or ICT for GCSE, you can still choose them for A-Level. It is good to think ahead, but in my opinion, you still have a lot of time and still early for you, you may change your mind even though right now you think this is exactly what you want to do in the future. Some Uni may look at your GCSE grades but most importantly they will mainly look at your A-Level grades. Tell me what you think.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LILIsu)
Which subject should I choose ICT or Computer Science? I am thinking of my future in advance. I heard ICT is easier and useless than CS from many people, is it right? As I have no experience in CS already, I am afraid of losing my GCSEs if I choose CS without taking ICT. Is ICT useless for me?
Do you enjoy working with computers? Do you have an interesting in programming them, or understanding how they work?

Additionally, I still have no idea to choose which career part. So, can you suggest at least for me?
What subjects are you good at? What subjects do you enjoy? Take a look at some of the jobs listed here to see if any sound interesting.
LILIsu
Rep:
At first, I'm appreciate of your explanation for me. Honestly, all of my friends are taking CS now in my country as they think CS will be more important than IT in the future. I don't know why- when I read ICT, I really wanna learn it. Also, while researching CS, I also wanna learn. ( Maybe I haven't know those in detail) Not in these two subjects, I am eager to learn almost everything to accumulate useful skills for my future. Similarly, I don't have specific carrer which I wanna go. (That's just what I wanna tell you.) Give me ur opinion, pls.

For subjects, I made a last decision previous night. I will take ICT rather than CS as I think I might not good at programming even though I'm good at Math. For ICT, it'll be light for me to learn and getting A* will be easier for ICT rather than CS. Can u make sure for me my choice is not affecting on my future? (Also, I got the idea which the A-level grades are more important for me. ) So, Thank you very much!
LILIsu
Rep:
I think I enjoy doing Maths. Okay! I'll try to find my dream job! Thank you for giving me the link!

(Original post by DataVenia)
Do you enjoy working with computers? Do you have an interesting in programming them, or understanding how they work?

What subjects are you good at? What subjects do you enjoy? Take a look at some of the jobs listed here to see if any sound interesting.
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Can u make sure for me my choice is not affecting on my future?
You'll be fine. As has been said above, if you decide that you want to study Computer Science at A level, not having studied it at IGCSE won't be a problem.
LILIsu
Rep:
Yea...So, what if I don't study CS at my A-level?
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yea...So, what if I don't study CS at my A-level?
Unless you want to study Computer Science at university, it's unlikely to have any impact whatsoever.

Even if you did want to study Computer Science at university, they often look for those with A level Mathematics and seem less bothered by A level Computer Science. However, given that most CS students will have studied CS before (I believe), you may feel slightly "behind".

But, as I say, this is not of any relevance for any other degree anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads