Nervous about the 2nd year... !

Watch this thread
TSB68
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Foundation in Archaeology, 1st year History just completed. But I understand that 2nd year degrees are much harder than we're led to believe in the 1st year. I think a little 'coasting' in the 1st year leaves us astray... I took on my degree as a mature student after losing my job with English Heritage during the pandemic. I thought, gen' up, get with re-educating yourself for the future. Indeed I have, so far. But all my foundation grades and 1st year History grades are borderline. I'm essentially studying from home to avoid risk to myself and my partner, but I hear from this site that 2nd year is a wake up call. My university does not even include 1st year grades in the overall degree results, a bonus but also not an incentive to do well, otherwise we're all scraping by on the 40% minimum to move forward. Anyone have any similar fears or solutions to make us/me feel more confident? Thanks for any advice offered in advance.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSB68)
Foundation in Archaeology, 1st year History just completed. But I understand that 2nd year degrees are much harder than we're led to believe in the 1st year. I think a little 'coasting' in the 1st year leaves us astray... I took on my degree as a mature student after losing my job with English Heritage during the pandemic. I thought, gen' up, get with re-educating yourself for the future. Indeed I have, so far. But all my foundation grades and 1st year History grades are borderline. I'm essentially studying from home to avoid risk to myself and my partner, but I hear from this site that 2nd year is a wake up call. My university does not even include 1st year grades in the overall degree results, a bonus but also not an incentive to do well, otherwise we're all scraping by on the 40% minimum to move forward. Anyone have any similar fears or solutions to make us/me feel more confident? Thanks for any advice offered in advance.
Hi TSB68

Let me start by saying you are NOT alone in your worries - many other people will be apprehensive about second year and I know I was too. I can only talk about second year from my experience. Whilst second year was a slight jump, it was not as bad as it was made out to be and what I had built up in my head. Second year is definitely more challenging, but it builds upon all your knowledge from first year. It is challenge but achievable - for me the exam formats changed to essays, and I needed to do some extra reading around topics to demonstrate my knowledge. First year I got lower grades than my second year despite finding first year 'easier'.

My advice to you is to talk to your academics/advisor to see if they could help you with exam/coursework techniques which may make all the difference. Also, if you need to do extra reading, do this after your lectures. And extra reading does not need to take ages - find a paper or two and pull out some interesting facts that may be relevant and add them to your notes. This way you will learn content as part of the lecture content without realising it is 'extra' and therefore relieving some pressure on yourself. Staying on top of all work and lecture content will definitely help too. Write up lecture notes and do work when it is set so you can avoid being pressured for time.

Overall, don't try to overthink second year - you will be eased in at first and any changes to what is expected of you will be said within the first few months of second year.

Lauren
(University of Southampton Official Rep)
nousernameplease
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That's funny I hadn't heard second year was a jump but that third year was super intense. Ultimately take this nervousness as an opportunity to prepare yourself for second year - how can you improve your note taking, time management, research and writing processes to improve your grades? See what resources your library has, I know mine was constantly providing workshops for study skills such as those above.
It might be more complex concepts and a bit more workload, but obviously it isn't outrageous because people before you have completed second year. If you are giving yourself 40 hours a week to study then it is entirely manageable to do well and set yourself up for success.
In addition to seeing what study workshops your university offers, definitely do what the person above has suggested of reaching out to your tutor and support services. See if you can talk through your assignments and exams and see how you can improve, and make sure you act on those improvements in your second year work.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSB68)
Hi! TSB68

I felt this as I went into my second year. The best advice I would give is to always seek advice and help from your lecturers when you're a bit stuck or need some clarity. Also, speak to academic advice teams that your university should offer. They will help you with writing assessments etc and how to get a better grade. These really helped me when i was studying my undergrad and helped me to progress to my masters now.

I found preparing before lectures and seminars more helpful in my second and third year. So writing down all the lecture notes before hand. I found this easier on a laptop to copy and paste from the slide and then pasting onto word. This way I was able to add to my notes without them getting messy and actually listen while the lecturer is talking. Reading materials are a good option too to really clarify your knowledge.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (17)
18.48%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (31)
33.7%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.43%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.17%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.78%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.57%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads