The Student Room Group

Wrong method used but correct answer

So basically Paper 2 maths 2022 there was a question on cosine and sine rule, First time going through the paper I used the wrong method I used cosine to find a length and Sine to find a angle(dumb ik) second time going through my paper i went through it again realised my mistake and redid all of it and got the right answer but didn't show any of my working out and only changed the answer and kept the wrong working out because i had no time left, so do you guys think ill get at least 1 mark for the right answer?
Reply 1
Original post by 20022222
So basically Paper 2 maths 2022 there was a question on cosine and sine rule, First time going through the paper I used the wrong method I used cosine to find a length and Sine to find a angle(dumb ik) second time going through my paper i went through it again realised my mistake and redid all of it and got the right answer but didn't show any of my working out and only changed the answer and kept the wrong working out because i had no time left, so do you guys think ill get at least 1 mark for the right answer?

You'll get the last A1 mark if it's correct
Original post by Skiwi
You'll get the last A1 mark if it's correct

A marks depend on M marks, B marks are the ones that don't. You wouldn't be able to get M0A1 on a 2 marker for instance.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
A marks depend on M marks, B marks are the ones that don't. You wouldn't be able to get M0A1 on a 2 marker for instance.

Just checked one of the marking schemes for edexcel and you're right, i'd guess op wouldn't get the mark then. Although without seeing the actual workings it's not really possible to give a definite answer
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
It was 4 marks do you think I’ll get 0?

If you used the wrong method, then you won’t be awarded the mark.

If you used a valid method not primarily shown in the MS you get the marks.
It was 4 marks do you think I’ll get 0?

I think you should get a non-zero mark provided you used some of the formulae correctly. (though it may just be 1 mark) Depends on exactly what you did and if you had any correct intermediate working.

Quick Reply

Latest