Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am attending OASC in 3 weeks for the second attempt. I was just wondering if anybody out there who is a serving RAF Officer has a PPL and what they do to keep the license valid and keeping their hours up.

My AFCO wasn't sure about this but he thought that the Air Force help financially in making sure your license stays current.

Also, if i get selected, what can you do to keep your hours up during IOT?

Thanks, Ed

ReputationRep:
    You can't during IOT unless you do it on your weekends off. The RAF won't pay for it either. You can join the RAF Flying Clubs though.

Once on EFT, your hours will count and they are logable although you need to find an RAF instructor who's also a CAA examiner. Not a problem if you're at Fenton or Wyton as I know of one at each (or were there anyway). Very likely to be one at Cranwell. They can sign renewals/bi-annual checks but beware, your EFT comes first by a LONG margin. Most let PPL sit on back burner for a while. It's not important and you'll certainly have the money to it up.

ReputationRep:
    Thats good news about the flying clubs.

I'm not applying for Pilot though because I am slightly short sighted and have been medically rejected for it.
    I am going for ATC Officer as first choice and Flight Ops Officer second.

So are the RAF Flying Clubs the only way to do it? What are they like (as in aircraft used etc)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erjt19)
    Thats good news about the flying clubs.

I'm not applying for Pilot though because I am slightly short sighted and have been medically rejected for it.
    I am going for ATC Officer as first choice and Flight Ops Officer second.

So are the RAF Flying Clubs the only way to do it? What are they like (as in aircraft used etc)?
    No you can stay at your civvy club, or move to a nearer one. It's up to you. RAF flying clubs are on base and I don't even know if there's one at Cranwell. I know there's one at Benson.

EDIT: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the advice.
    I take it you have a PPL and you are an officer in the RAF...if that is the case, what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I have a PPL (lapsed) and no I'm not an Officer in the RAF.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    I, however, am, and she's right. The RAF won't pay for it at all, although I think some people have tried to use SLCs or ELCs towards PPL ground studies and the suchlike. They'll certainly let you use ELCs to pay for ATPL exams.

Everyone just uses local flying clubs to keep their hours up, usually just at weekends. If you're posted somewhere with a decent flying club you'll find it very cheap. Places without a flying club sometimes have links with local civilian ones or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    I was told at the AFCO that the RAF has flying clubs cos I asked them I'd have to keep flying whilst I was in. They said they knew people with their own aircraft etc. So no doubt there'll be some subsidised hangorige etc if you were in. But you'd pay for fuel obviously.

ReputationRep:
    I posted a link....

If you have your own airframe you can usually store it in a hangar - be it with the UAS, VGS or just spare hangar. I have a friend who had one at Odious and moved it to Shawbs with him. We have a private 'dog belonging to one of the instructors in the hangar with the Tutors and there was a Maj who used to keep his aircraft with a certain VGS.

ELCs are usable for CPL/ATPL but rarely PPL exams as Wzz said.

It's worth heading over to Pprune if you are a wannabe pilot and want to know how hours contribute. BEagle has posted the link and copied and pasted LASORS many a time....
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you would have to be exceptionally organised and dedicated to keep a PPL up during the first few years of your service, nothing in the training system (bar flying training hours) will help you at all. Also, it will be rather like a busman's holiday if you are in ATC training. I suggest the only way you would really achieve it is to have been to a flying club beforehand, introduced yourself, explained your situation etc because you are bound to be cramming the odd hour in here and there, with plenty of cancellations, last minute bookings etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.