Turn on thread page Beta

Instant Noodles....not good for health? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I heard instant noodles is not good for the health. Heard side effects like short term memory, hair loss, etc...is it true? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ha I very much doubt it, if they were that bad the Food Standards Agency would probably ban them. I eat lots of noodles and I'm in pretty good health :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i used to live off them for lunch lol, never caused me any stick...

ReputationRep:
    Umm i had some last night and woke up healthy this morning :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, i think that‘s right.
    If not, why can instant noodles be preserved for so long time? The additive is not good for health.

ReputationRep:
    Check the source of what you've heard... weren't pot noodles supposed to have something REALLY bad in them not long ago? But not in all noodles... Also they're not the best food ever because of how they're treated to give them a long shelf life but this wouldn't result in the mentioned symptoms (I hope :eek: )

ReputationRep:
    I doubt anything that looks that flourescent can be any good for you really. But they're still tasty, nom nom.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just eaten some.

*Dies*

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about hair loss!?! Obviously they're not very healthy..if we're talking Super Noodle/Pot Noodle-esque stuff, additives, preservatives, flavourings, colourings, salt, sugar etc...but so long as you only eat them very occasionally it's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is a bit of a health freak and he is always telling me they are really bad for you, I still eat them though. Hope it's not hair loss and short term memory though. Then again though I don't want them to do anything bad to my health! i'm a bit of a noodle addict too so that sucks!

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading a newspaper article in Hong Kong about someone who ate crazy amounts of instant noodles and some substance (a gum of some kind, can't remember really) accumulated and somehow obstructed their airway? But that was ********* of instant noodles.

ReputationRep:
    They probably are bad for you... but that doesn't change the fact that chicken supernoodles are the food of the gods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Check the source of what you've heard... weren't pot noodles supposed to have something REALLY bad in them not long ago? But not in all noodles... Also they're not the best food ever because of how they're treated to give them a long shelf life but this wouldn't result in the mentioned symptoms (I hope :eek: )
    My bold:

Yeah, about 70g of salt in each pot.

ReputationRep:
    Its the same as any kind of food...... best in moderation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peanut42)
    I doubt anything that looks that flourescent can be any good for you really. But they're still tasty, nom nom.
    Agreed! Can't say I trust radioactive-green food :erm: but they taste lovely!

Noodles probably are a health risk if that's literally all you eat, and you don't take any vits ... but I very much doubt eating a packet of Super Noodles will make all your hair fall out by dawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    I heard instant noodles is not good for the health. Heard side effects like short term memory, hair loss, etc...is it true? :confused:
    Well, there's a scary amount of sodium/saturated fats (or whichever the 'bad' kind of fat is - can't remember now, and I didn't even have instant noodles :p:) in it, and hardly any nutrients. The lack of nutrition would contribute to hair loss etc., surely?

It's yummy once in a while, though

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the brand, but generally they aren't especially good for you. High in calories, generally have quite a lot of sat fats and trans fats, loads of salt and sugar. They're very tasty, but try not to eat them too often.

ReputationRep:
    its basically empty calories yeah. carbs + sugar + salt + nasty fats + additives = instant noodles

its not going to kill you though, once in a while at most, maybe stir in some veg and chicken or something so you dont feel quite so guilty

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.