How many years of student finance am I entitled to?

Watch this thread
EmmaP1980
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am just about to start my second year of a 2 year foundation degree. My plan was to do the top up to make it a full degree and then to do an MA in social work and apply for a masters loan.
But recently I have been thinking of not doing the top up and applying for a BA hons in social work which is 3 years. But if I did it this way would I end up having to fund some of it myself?

Thanks
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EmmaP1980)
I am just about to start my second year of a 2 year foundation degree. My plan was to do the top up to make it a full degree and then to do an MA in social work and apply for a masters loan.
But recently I have been thinking of not doing the top up and applying for a BA hons in social work which is 3 years. But if I did it this way would I end up having to fund some of it myself?

Thanks
Hello Emma,

As you have a lower level qualification and now wish to ‘top up’ to an Honours degree, we use the following calculation to work out the number of years you’re eligible for funding: Length of new course (or three, whichever is longest) + one year* – years spent on preliminary courses = Remaining entitlement (awarded to the final years of your course) * Or the ordinary duration of the preliminary course(s) minus one, if the preliminary course(s) was three years or more.
A preliminary course is one of the following:
•Certificate of Higher Education
•Diploma of Higher Education
•Higher National Certificate
•Higher National Diploma
•Foundation Degree

This mean you would have 2 years standard entitlement. Your funding would look like this:
Year 1- Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants (Childcare, Parent’s Learning Allowance and Adult Dependant Grant) and Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) if applicable.

Year’s 2 & 3- Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants (Childcare, Parent’s Learning Allowance and Adult Dependant Grant) and Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) if applicable.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (23)
31.08%
They're exactly what I expected (22)