sorebeloved
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Going to apply for universities soon and i'd just appreciate it if someone could tell me what unis would be good in terms of education, and i know shouldn't be main focus, but how's social life?
normaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sorebeloved)
Going to apply for universities soon and i'd just appreciate it if someone could tell me what unis would be good in terms of education, and i know shouldn't be main focus, but how's social life?
Social life is important as you will be living at your uni for 3-4 years and you will need an outlet away from your studies.

In theory, larger cities will give you more opportunities for a good social life. However, my son has developed a very good social life in the relatively small city of Lancaster. It depends what you make of it and if you join any societies, etc. Go to lots of open days so you get a feel for the departments and facilities on offer, and talk to current students about their social lives.

When choosing an architecture course, make sure it ARB/RIBA accredited/validated. There are lots of good courses out there - Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Loughborough, Bath, Liverpool, Cardiff, Coventry, Sheffield, UCL, Lancaster, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, UWE (Bristol), Queen's (Belfast), etc., etc. Use the search function on the UCAS website for a full list.
Last edited by normaw; 1 month ago
EmilyClarke24
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at the University of Nottingham.
Although I don't personally study architecture, I have a friend that does and from what I have heard she has had a very positive experience.

The uni itself has a really nice campus and the gym is recently built and of a really high quality.
There is an endless list of societies and sports so no matter what your interests and hobbies are then you will be able to find something to suit you.
The city is also really good for students with there being 2 big unis in the same city. I have been pleasantly surprised by the social life in the city. There is lots of really nice restaurants, bars and clubs (chains and individual ones). They have a student night every night of the week in the clubs and most bars and restarants have student discounts and happy hours.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
I am student rep at the university of Kent and I have just finished my second year studying architecture. So far, despite the restrictions put in place during the pandemic, I have had a very positive experience.

When choosing a university it is important to consider your academics, but I can tell you that your social life is what really makes your university experience and you will need plenty of time off your studies to unwind, especially if you are studying architecture. That is perhaps why I like studying at Kent: we have such a wide range of societies for students to engage in sports and activities and make friends, we have restaurants and outlets hosting weekly events as well as the campus clubs running multiple events each week. Also, on campus each accommodation is its own community and support groups would regularly organise events to encourage students to mingle. There is plenty to do both on and off-campus as the town centre is jus a 10 minute bus ride or a 25 minute walk down the hill with plenty of bars and pubs also collaborating with university societies to host events throughout the year. Plus, Canterbury is very close to London, so it is quite easy to travel to busy capital.

Because our university is very international, people tend to be very open, acceptive and friendly, so building a social life overtime can be a positive experience. The Student Union here works very hard to keep positive student experience at high levels and that can also include the social aspect. Outside architecture, I have

Ultimately, everyone has different interests when it comes to their social lives, but I think that if you are proactive enough, you can find your own place at Kent and people that can make your experience a memorable one. I will attach a link to some articles our students have written about their experience is you are curious: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/profi...rchitecture-cl

If you have any more questions, perhaps even more architecture-related, do not hesitate to ask

Tracy
UKC Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
70.41%
In the post (3)
3.06%
Text (13)
13.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads