any advice for telephone interviews ( the first/second of the application)

Watch this thread
lordwho101
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I always fail the first/second stage of the job application which is a telephone interview where the recruiter would ask questions about me and explain more about the company and role.

I wanna know if anyone has any advice for telephone interviews?
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lordwho101)
I always fail the first/second stage of the job application which is a telephone interview where the recruiter would ask questions about me and explain more about the company and role.

I wanna know if anyone has any advice for telephone interviews?
Typical suggestions are - Make sure you are comfortable (clothes, temperature, noise etc.), stand up when speaking on the phone, smile when speaking etc.

Also, if you know the kind of questions they are going to ask, have a set of short answers ready - not like paragraphs, but some bullet points to keep you on track. Also have you CV and your application to hand. Importantly, research the company so you know what they do/the role etc. and have some questions ready to ask back. It should be a conversation, not a grilling.

Prepare and believe you can do it, they want to speak with you, so you’ve earned it. Deep breaths, try to relax and nail it - “fake it ‘til you make it” works, even if you don’t feel confident (nerves are normal), project an air of confidence and demonstrate you’re prepared. If you struggle with speaking on the phone or about yourself, it really is just a matter of practice, so do that beforehand, even if it’s just talking to yourself in the mirror (or practice with friends/family, or a careers service offered at school/uni). Also, treat each one as a learning experience and review it afterwards and think what you did well and what you could do better, work out how to improve and then implement both for next time.

Try not to get disheartened, it’s a numbers game at the end of the day and the application/interview process is less about selection and more about whittling the number of candidates down to a manageable number (i.e. a handful) that they can select from. Keep at it and you’ll get there.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads