Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents at Interview Watch

• View Poll Results: Parents at interview?
    No, they're staying at home
    49.33%
    They're just dropping me off
    38.00%
    Yes, they're gonna be with me all the way
    12.67%

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was just wondering how many people bring their parents to interview. I don't want to, but because I can't get there on time via train, I'm going to have to go with a parent :rolleyes:

The question is, do I actually bring them in the university with me, or do I leave them to drive around and find something to do? On one hand, I don't want to look like I'm about 5, and can't do anything by myself, but on the other hand, I feel bad telling them no, you can't come with :p: And will lots of other people have parents with them?

Medical students/medics of the future, what did/will you do?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'll probably go alone if I get any interviews.
    Because I'll have to fly up for the St Andrews & Aberdeen ones, and they only give you a short period of notice, it would just be a waste of money for more than one of us to go. Cambridge is easily accesible for me by train so that's no problem. Nottingham might be a bit of an issue because I'll have to go by train and, like you, it would be hard for me to get there on time
    (time depending, obviously).
    If my parents do have to take me, I'll ask them not to come in with me and I'm sure they will understand. I just think it looks better if you're on your own to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not a medic, but I went to all of my interviews alone (except for Southampton, Dad drove me down and then explored the city).

I even flew to Paris by myself. :p:

I'd say go alone, not being patronising, but you don't want to look about five years old! Uni's about independence innit

ReputationRep:
    Just ask to be dropped off, simple.

WTF, get rid of your parents they don't need to be with you, just get a lift if you need to, then they can go.

Get up earlier and go by train.

Why cant you go by train?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus wept.

Are you 17 (or older, heaven forbid) or 7? Parents at interviews is like being made to go to bed at 8pm when you're 16! Not cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Well, I was just wondering how many people bring their parents to interview. I don't want to, but because I can't get there on time via train, I'm going to have to go with a parent :rolleyes:

The question is, do I actually bring them in the university with me, or do I leave them to drive around and find something to do? On one hand, I don't want to look like I'm about 5, and can't do anything by myself, but on the other hand, I feel bad telling them no, you can't come with :p: And will lots of other people have parents with them?

Medical students/medics of the future, what did/will you do?

when i went for my interview in st andrews, everyone had parents with them in the town because it is difficult to get to, and most of their parents sat in the waiting room with the interviewees but mine went off to a cafe.

at newcastle my mum was there because they gave me an interview at 9am and the uni refused to change it so the only way i could get the train that morning was if i got the 6am train which wasn't happening so my mum and i stayed overnight the night before and because she was on her own, she came into the waiting room with me which i thought was slightly odd as the other 3 people i saw were all on their own (i think they were from nearby with that time slot though)

at dundee lots of peoples parents were sitting outside but again (because both my parents were there) they went away and sat down in another part of the hospital, also, there were relatively few seats outside for parents to sit on.

i thought having them to take me there was useful because i didn't want to find i had a problem getting there and they helped calm me but i wasn't sure of having them in the waiting room with me as that made me nervous

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should bring them into the room where you're getting interviewed as well? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know from personal experience that when candidates are collected for interview from the waiting room by one of the interviewers, if the candidate is with their parent(s) it doesn't create the best first impression.

ReputationRep:
    I would go on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Open days my dad came with me just because I wanted him to - I would have gone by myself if he hadn't wanted to come, but I found it nice to discuss things with him and get another point of view on things. Also, whilst it was my decision and he always completely respected this, I valued his opinion.

as for Interviews, my dad also took me! He waited in the canteens whilst I waited/had my interviews. Nice to have company on the journey there and back and also saved the stress of getting trains and public transport to the uni on days when I could have done without it. and he was more than happy to take me!

ReputationRep:
    Went to one in Glasgow by myself but my dad came with me to another cause he just wanted to see the uni plus he drove me down.
    Quite a few people had parents with them it's no real big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    when i went for my interview in st andrews, everyone had parents with them in the town because it is difficult to get to, and most of their parents sat in the waiting room with the interviewees but mine went off to a cafe.

at newcastle my mum was there because they gave me an interview at 9am and the uni refused to change it so the only way i could get the train that morning was if i got the 6am train which wasn't happening so my mum and i stayed overnight the night before and because she was on her own, she came into the waiting room with me which i thought was slightly odd as the other 3 people i saw were all on their own (i think they were from nearby with that time slot though)

at dundee lots of peoples parents were sitting outside but again (because both my parents were there) they went away and sat down in another part of the hospital, also, there were relatively few seats outside for parents to sit on.

i thought having them to take me there was useful because i didn't want to find i had a problem getting there and they helped calm me but i wasn't sure of having them in the waiting room with me as that made me nervous
    Because 6am is too early?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    GO BY YOURSELF. Really have some maturity - they won't be with you at uni so why at interviews?

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with parents coming and showing support. Obviously walking you to the door of the interview room is a little obsessive, but I like having my parents drop me off. The day is stressful enough without the travel hassle too.

ReputationRep:
    If you must have them with you, don't let them come near the interviewers. If they see them, they will not think you're very independant

ReputationRep:
    Parents dropping you off, or just coming in as you register is fine, but that's where I draw the line. I wouldn't want my parents to hang around for me all day - they can go off and do their own thing!
    Having said that, my mum will probably have to hang around for my Newcastle interview, as it's only 25 minutes (there's no presentations or anything) and we've both never been to the area before, so she'd probably get lost!
    It depends how you feel. It's nice to have the moral support of a parent to drop you off and pick you up when you're finished, but not essential. I'd be able to go it alone, sure, but the logistics of getting there would be more stressful on my own (as I discovered when I organised a trip flying to Edinburgh for the open day, and flying from Edinburgh to Leicester for their open day the following day, having never been to either of them before!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Because 6am is too early?
    Oh dear, not a surgeon then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Oh dear, not a surgeon then...
    Id like to do a bit of cutting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Id like to do a bit of cutting
    Not you muppet, the n00b who's scared of mornings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Not you muppet, the n00b who's scared of mornings.

LOOOOL

Sorry boss (you may well be my boss one day).

Hows the year going for you so far?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.