Turn on thread page Beta

Parents at Interview watch

• View Poll Results: Parents at interview?
    No, they're staying at home
    49.33%
    They're just dropping me off
    38.00%
    Yes, they're gonna be with me all the way
    12.67%

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to go alone to my interview because it's in the day and both my parents work. It's quite exciting, the longest train journey I've been on entirely on my own before was to Watford to do the UKCAT. And now I'll have to change twice for Leicester! :eek:

Though I went with a friend to Southampton.

I like trains.

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided on this, to be honest though, I don't think that if your parents are there (as long as they stay in the waiting room) that the medical school is automatically going to reject you!
    I took my mum because she was genuinely interested in seeing the medical school, and it was nice to have her there to talk to!
    Personal preference though, I think its up to you, if your parents are going to make you more nervous then definitely don't allow them to come, but otherwise, you choose really

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake the uni's know that they're miles away from most people's home towns and people will need their parents to take them to interviews. At my nottingham interview they provided a special tour and room with coffee for people's parents - most of whom were more nervous than we were! At liverpool my mam sat in the waiting room with me along with everyone else's parents although in Manchester my dad was sent to a cafe. The interviewers aren't going to refuse to give you an offer based on your mam being with you are they! They appreciate that often the parents have invested nearly as much as the student in getting that interview and want to be there. Sure, maybe for graduate entrants it may be a bit odd, but I really wouldn't stress about it unless they're going to make you more nervous!

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to go alone to my interview because it's in the day and both my parents work. It's quite exciting, the longest train journey I've been on entirely on my own before was to Watford to do the UKCAT. And now I'll have to change twice for Leicester!

Though I went with a friend to Southampton.

I like trains.
    ahh, I didn't realise that Leicester were giving out interviews. Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take my parents to an interview because they don't have any expertise in medicine that would seem beneficial. If I have some overwhelming to suddenly talk to them, then thats what my mobile phone is for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomster)
    I wouldn't take my parents to an interview because they don't have any expertise in medicine that would seem beneficial. If I have some overwhelming to suddenly talk to them, then thats what my mobile phone is for.

Nail on Head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Well, I was just wondering how many people bring their parents to interview. I don't want to, but because I can't get there on time via train, I'm going to have to go with a parent :rolleyes:

The question is, do I actually bring them in the university with me, or do I leave them to drive around and find something to do? On one hand, I don't want to look like I'm about 5, and can't do anything by myself, but on the other hand, I feel bad telling them no, you can't come with :p: And will lots of other people have parents with them?

Medical students/medics of the future, what did/will you do?

Same, I don't want to either, but there's no way I'm getting a train into London and then the underground, then another train and then another train... So they're coming with me... Too much hassle otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    yeah my dads taking me down on friday, but i don't think he'll come in the medical school with me.

ReputationRep:
    oh god no!!
    they might just come along to london for vacation or whatever, but that'd be only if my dad's in europe then... and it'd be them in town being all touristy, not sitting outside the interview room!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    LOOOOL

Sorry boss (you may well be my boss one day).

Hows the year going for you so far?
    Not bad thanks, bit of a slow patch at the moment; same ****, different day.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't see the problem with parents taking you there, especially when the universities are quite far away and inaccessible.

I really think people on this thread who think that just because your parents drive you there, maybe hang around in the library or walk around town, you're not independent or grown up need to grow up themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomster)
    What and an interview is Medicine?
    Interviews are about how you interact with the interviewer and how you come across. The interview itself is very unlikely to contain any Medicine, unless you've talked about a specific disease or whatever in your PS. My dad's driving me there (won't be coming in with me), and so far he's had some useful things to impart with, that will help when in my interview(s). He has a Business degree, so therefore knows no Medicine; yet his life experience has enabled him to give me some useful advice.

Just because your parents have no expertise in Medicine, doesn't mean that they have no expertise in interviews...

ReputationRep:
    For the person who said they didn't want to get a train at 6am, that's understandable. That would probably mean getting up at 5am and that would make for a pretty tired feeling on finally getting to the interview!!

*If* (big, whopping, amazingly huge IF there) I get an interview at Oxford I'm not sure what I'll do transport-wise. I'd have to get the train the night before the first day of interviews (since it's a five hour journey and I wouldn't want to have to get up at 4am on a day that could affect the next 3 years of my life), or get my Mum or Dad to drive me down the next day. Then I'd ask them politely to shoo since interviews last for several days rather than just one. If it was a single-day interview, however, I'd probably just arrange to meet my Mum in a nice bookshop :rolleyes:

I don't think it's immature to have a parent take a person to interview; considering that some interview invites are pretty short-notice, it's probably cheaper to be driven than to get the train/plane, and it does reduce the stress of being late due to breakdowns or problems with transport (which is pretty much the expectation on east anglian trains... :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, that's my 2 pence. Ideally I would want to make my own way to interview, but I certainly wouldn't object if my parents agreed to make my life a lot easier my driving me!

Argh, wish I could drive. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    We're applying to do medicine and at the same time the large majority of us are somewhat against the idea of our parents driving us up there and just hanging around. Why?

ReputationRep:
    May drop me off like they did for open days or I will get train/drive depending where it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    We're applying to do medicine and at the same time the large majority of us are somewhat against the idea of our parents driving us up there and just hanging around. Why?
    For exactly the same reason you don't need mummy and daddy to hang around while you go to work.

ReputationRep:
    And dang it, I answered a question from the "most recent threads" without realising it was about Medicine *again*.

Ignore me. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    For exactly the same reason you don't need mummy and daddy to hang around while you go to work.
    Train tickets are going to cost me £68, and a lot more time to get there because I have to change at London. I don't see how getting your parents to give you a lift there is going to show that you're less independent. That's just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Train tickets are going to cost me £68, and a lot more time to get there because I have to change at London. I don't see how getting your parents to give you a lift there is going to show that you're less independent. That's just ridiculous.
    How much is it going to cost them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How much is it going to cost them?
    Not that much, my mum has work to do and stuff to read anyway so she can just sit in the library. It saves me a lot of time and the petrol is hardly going to be £68. It's more convenient.

To be fair, it just shows that you have caring parents who've offered to give you a lift there. I don't see how doing that would show that you're less independent, particularly when I don't live on the right train line, so a trip would require me to change at London... And relying on...

0.) Bus to Station
    1.) Train into London
    2.) Underground to Euston
    3.) Euston to Birmingham New Street
    4.) New Street to University

And back again, it's inconvenient and I don't trust public transport. Simpler to just get a lift, especially when my mum has already offered.

What's the problem that people on this thread seem to have with that?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.