Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents at Interview Watch

• View Poll Results: Parents at interview?
    No, they're staying at home
    49.33%
    They're just dropping me off
    38.00%
    Yes, they're gonna be with me all the way
    12.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Gosh, some people are nasty around here :p:
    Methinks it's jealousy. Having parents who are able and willing to help you get to your interview with less hassle doesn't mean you are any less independent. It just means you are lucky! Of course is is possible to go alone, there are many opportunities in life to be independent, but if it makes life easier then why not?

ReputationRep:
    My dad is driving me and then staying over in Liverpool for the night with me.
    And then driving me to the med school.
    But then I'm making his go away :]
    And come back for the tour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Methinks it's jealousy. Having parents who are able and willing to help you get to your interview with less hassle doesn't mean you are any less independent. It just means you are lucky! Of course is is possible to go alone, there are many opportunities in life to be independent, but if it makes life easier then why not?
    :ditto: Yes, you may not need parents to take you to an interview, but has anyone actually considered that some people want them to be there, for moral support? Of course, sitting there, holding your hand throughout the day is excessive, but having a parent there to wish you good luck and drop you off is not a lack of independence at all in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Plus its often good to have someone to talk through possible interview questions with (and the sort of things you might want to say in response) on the way there. And along the same lines as a lot of the other comments, parents tend to ask the questions that you don't think of at the time, but are entirely relevant when you are on the tours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylophonefairy)
    I'll have to go alone to my interview because it's in the day and both my parents work. It's quite exciting, the longest train journey I've been on entirely on my own before was to Watford to do the UKCAT. And now I'll have to change twice for Leicester! :eek:

Though I went with a friend to Southampton.

I like trains.
    :yep: Trains are awesome. Hopefully Oxford gives me an interview, so then I can put my train riding skills to use. :p:

:laugh: But in all honesty, I'll be going by myself.

ReputationRep:
    I know that the King's interviews have started cause I see a little huddle of parents sitting in the foyer every time I go to the Hodgkin building.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    I know that the King's interviews have started cause I see a little huddle of parents sitting in the foyer every time I go to the Hodgkin building.

LOOOL
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    My dad came with my to the first interview that I had at BSMS. Its a whole day thing and parents often come. They don't come up to the pre interview room but come on campus tours etc. I think that I did much better because my dad was there and otherwise I would have been waiting all day (I was in the last group) on my own.

My second two interviews (Birmingham and UCL) I went on my own as I had more of an idea of what to expect. Although someone did try and mug me when I went to the UCL one (obviously not at the actual interview) so I sort of wished that my dad had been there

ReputationRep:
    my mum came with me to George's but she just dropped me off and left and thank god she did as nobody had their parents with them. at BL and Cardiff she stayed i found it comforting that she was there but kinda embaressing at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Although someone did try and mug me when I went to the UCL one (obviously not at the actual interview) so I sort of wished that my dad had been there
    LOL, welcome to London.

Was it daylight? if it was next time just laugh at them.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    LOL, welcome to London.

Was it daylight? if it was next time just laugh at them.
    It was. I am from London so people have tried it a couple of times. I just said very loudly I am not going to give you my money and then ran off. Busy street so he didn't follow :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    Someone's parent was actually sitting in the waiting room with us when I came for my interview the other day. Now that was excessive. Plus she kept looking over my shoulder and reading what I was writing on my questionnaire - very distracting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    Someone's parent was actually sitting in the waiting room with us when I came for my interview the other day. Now that was excessive. Plus she kept looking over my shoulder and reading what I was writing on my questionnaire - very distracting!
    you wonder what they hope to achieve by that. i'd find it very weird to have my parents sitting in the waiting room with me.

ReputationRep:
    just some advice, from my experience applicants never bring their parents to interviews.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum came with me to three out of my four interviews, and managed to behave herself At Manchester and King's she got talking to other parents and went off for coffee with them. At Leicester I was waiting ageees as they get everyone there at the same time then tell you your slot, so I was really glad to have her there!

And x.beth.x did they know the parent was in there? I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be!

ReputationRep:
    Just got an interview for UCL parents will probably end up coming and amusing themselves in london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Monkey)
    My Mum came with me to three out of my four interviews, and managed to behave herself At Manchester and King's she got talking to other parents and went off for coffee with them. At Leicester I was waiting ageees as they get everyone there at the same time then tell you your slot, so I was really glad to have her there!

And x.beth.x did they know the parent was in there? I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be!
    I'm not sure tbh. Maybe I got it wrong and it wasn't a parent. Although it did look like she was with the girl next to her. The woman didn't have a questionnaire either and didn't get called in for an interview at any point and left before I went in (I was very early so was waiting for ages!). It could have been a graduate I guess but she looked more in her late 40s if I remember rightly so it's unlikely. There was a man at the desk but he didn't say anything. Dunno :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for being independent but on poossibly the most life changing day of my life i think a bit of moral support is called for

ReputationRep:
    Hey

My whole family insisted on coming along with me to my interview at Birmingham... and even though it did make me look kind of silly, the interviewers didn't seem to care either way. I even made a joke and they laughed (woohoo!). lol

I don't think it matters. But if you feel uncomfortable then take a parent and ask them to go shopping or something.

Good luck :yep:

ReputationRep:
    my parents just dropped me off and didnt stay most people at my interviews didnt have their parents with them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.