The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you feel uncomfortable or under more pressure when you're with your parents, then don't take them with you, but ONLY IF it's for that reason.

From my Birmingham interview, I can tell you that many people brought their parents along with them (about half). No one judged on the basis of whether their parents came with them or not. The interviewers don't even know whether your parents are there, as they're in a separate room. Indeed, it even tells you on the tour reply slip that you should invite your parents in if they accompany you.

If you don't feel like you'll be under more pressure if your parents are there, then if they want to give you a lift up there, I'd go. It's so much more reliable than public transport and does not show that you are in any way less independent.
Reply 81
Toiletpaper8

THE worst advice ever! Whilst I managed to get cheaper tickets in the end, the train ran late and there were no seats. I only just managed to get there in time for the tour. On the way back, I waited at New Street for 1 hour and MKC for 2 hours because a bus broke down.

From what you said, I thought that no one went with their parents to B'ham, but MANY people did and no one noticed. You've HAD a Bham interview; you should know better.

You should have taken an earlier train, you should have known better and allowed yourself an hour extra to compensate for these occurrences.

and i have an Bham Applicant day, not interview (same ****).
I never said anything about "no one going without parents", i stated my opinion about taking your parents, but you would have gained Nothing by taking them.

So i have no idea what the hell you are on about, if you think taking your parents i needed for interviews, then you are a large idiot and are not mature enough to be going to university let alone becoming a doctor. (bad example cos its gonna be 5/6 years till were doctors, but its been said now)

If you would feel more comfortable with your parents then fair dues, but i feel sorry for you independence and confidence.
You are clearly extremely immature (large idiot? :rolleyes:) and I'm not even going to bother to warrant that with a response.

I would just like to clarify that I never said I "needed" my parents at interviews, but that it was more convenient for me to simply get a lift there.

EDIT: Also, I just realised that you haven't fully quoted what I said. Altering what I said is just a low blow.
I really don't understand how having your parents sit with you before you're called into the pre-interview room makes you have no confidence or independence :confused:

It's obvious people have very differing views on this - I would say to anyone wondering about it, do what is most comfortable for you. Having a medical school interview is a big thing, and it could be a big turning point in your life, so don't feel ashamed if you want your parents to share some of that day with you - in my books, it doesn't make you any less of a mature person.
However, if you are determined to go it on your own, then good for you, I think you're quite brave.

Either way, I don't really think it makes any difference on what the university thinks of you. That is, unless, your parent(s) want to hold your hand every step of the way and sit in the interview room and answer your questions for you! But then again, that's a huge extreme that I would say applies to an extremely small minority...
Reply 84
Toiletpaper8
You are clearly extremely immature (large idiot? :rolleyes:) and I'm not even going to bother to warrant that with a response.

I would just like to clarify that I never said I "needed" my parents at interviews, but that it was more convenient for me to simply get a lift there.

EDIT: Also, I just realised that you haven't fully quoted what I said. Altering what I said is just a low blow.

the three words i removed, do not alter what you said, at all.

and thats why i left it open.

just because my opinions are not PC, does not make me less mature, at least i have the strength of character to say them.
Reply 85
scaryhair
I really don't understand how having your parents sit with you before you're called into the pre-interview room makes you have no confidence or independence :confused:

It's obvious people have very differing views on this - I would say to anyone wondering about it, do what is most comfortable for you. Having a medical school interview is a big thing, and it could be a big turning point in your life, so don't feel ashamed if you want your parents to share some of that day with you - in my books, it doesn't make you any less of a mature person.
However, if you are determined to go it on your own, then good for you, I think you're quite brave.

Either way, I don't really think it makes any difference on what the university thinks of you. That is, unless, your parent(s) want to hold your hand every step of the way and sit in the interview room and answer your questions for you! But then again, that's a huge extreme that I would say applies to an extremely small minority...

I stated my opinion, and then left if open, what more did you need? :s-smilie:
jjkkll
I stated my opinion, and then left if open, what more did you need? :s-smilie:

For you to be more polite about it, and not start chucking about insults?
Reply 87
scaryhair
For you to be more polite about it, and not start chucking about insults?

i agree i wrote it in an insulting manner, but i did get your true opinion out of it. (as it made you defend your opinion as well as stating it)
jjkkll
the three words i removed, do not alter what you said, at all.

and thats why i left it open.

It alters it quite a bit actually. I wasn't blaming the journey on you, as you seemingly made out in your reply, was I?

I accept that I should have got an earlier train, as public transport was unreliable (50 minute delay :eek: but I am getting my money back :p:). The thing I was pointing out was how you were "shocked" at my choice to get a lift from my parents, something which I have already mentioned was because of convenience only, and not because I lack independence (again a low blow to insult me in your response). I got the impression that you had a B'ham interview because you told me that you had got the train to Birmingham, and from that I deduced that on your trip there, you didn't see any people with their parents, hence why you were "shocked" by my travel plans.

As a result of not wanting to seem like the odd one out, I used public transport.

Ah, never mind. I don't have time for this... I have a history essay to do.

Just forget it, okay?
jjkkll
i agree i wrote it in an insulting manner, but i did get your true opinion out of it. (as it made you defend your opinion as well as stating it)

My "true opinion" echoes exactly my opinion expressed in previous posts - there is no difference!
Reply 90
Toiletpaper8
It alters it quite a bit actually. I wasn't blaming the journey on you, as you seemingly made out in your reply, was I?

I accept that I should have got an earlier train, as public transport was unreliable (50 minute delay :eek: but I am getting my money back :p:). The thing I was pointing out was how you were "shocked" at my choice to get a lift from my parents, something which I have already mentioned was because of convenience only, and not because I lack independence (again a low blow to insult me in your response). I got the impression that you had a B'ham interview because you told me that you had got the train to Birmingham, and from that I deduced that on your trip there, you didn't see any people with their parents, hence why you were "shocked" by my travel plans.

As a result of not wanting to seem like the odd one out, I used public transport.

Ah, never mind. I don't have time for this... I have a history essay to do.

Just forget it, okay?

forgotten, thanks for the help btw.

how did you interview go?
jjkkll
forgotten, thanks for the help btw.

how did you interview go?

I don't know what I helped you with, but you're welcome :smile: :p:

The interview went ok I think. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it, because you tend to always focus on the bad bits when you get out of the interview room. Still, only 3 weeks, and then and again, if it's perfect then you've probably gone wrong somewhere. I managed to make a few friends there as well :smile:

The interview panel were really really nice people, so if anyone here is having a Birmingham interview, there's nothing to be worried about. They're really nice and make the whole experience quite pleasant.
Reply 92
Tbh,I think i would want my parents there...hmmm....
Reply 93
mine couldnt go with me and i was very lonely in leicester because youre in groups and everyone else my the group had brought a parent! only one parent at the manchester interview and even then they didnt get as far as the waiting room.
beccy.
mine couldnt go with me and i was very lonely in leicester because youre in groups and everyone else my the group had brought a parent! only one parent at the manchester interview and even then they didnt get as far as the waiting room.

Same here, no parents at my Manchester interview either. What PBL are you?
Reply 95
Alex L
Same here, no parents at my Manchester interview either. What PBL are you?

18!!!!! its amazing! you?
beccy.
18!!!!! its amazing! you?

13, its been so good so far. Where have you been allocated as a base for years 3-5

Latest

Trending

Trending