HELP

Watch this thread
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
does anyone know why the seatbelt locks up when you pull it out fast, but not when you pull it out slowly??
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
so when the car jolts and you have a seat belt in you don't fly out your seat
Wannabevetnurse
Rep:
(Original post by Spelunker)
so when the car jolts and you have a seat belt in you don't fly out your seat
ok but how does it know the difference in the speed?
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As Spelunker says, it is to stop you in the event of a crash. Your inertia is separate to that of the vehicle, so just because the car suddenly stops, you do not - so the seatbelt is there to stop you (and to spread the force over bits of you that can withstand it). It’s called an “inertia reel” seat belt - see (for example): https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d.../seatbelt3.htm
Wannabevetnurse
Rep:
(Original post by BlueChicken)
As Spelunker says, it is to stop you in the event of a crash. Your inertia is separate to that of the vehicle, so just because the car suddenly stops, you do not - so the seatbelt is there to stop you (and to spread the force over bits of you that can withstand it). It’s called an “inertia reel” seat belt - see (for example): https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d.../seatbelt3.htm
Thank you
Anholm
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
ok but how does it know the difference in the speed?
There is a flywheel mechanism inside with a spring loaded catch. When you pull the belt out slowly, the 'arms' attached to the drum which the belt is wound around don't have enough rotational inertia to oppose the spring and fling out so they don't jam againsed the metal teeth and the drum is not stopped.
When you pull the belt quickly, you give the 'arms' attached to the drum a lot of inertia so they fling out, get caught on the metal teeth and stop the drum from turning, stopping the seatbelt coming out
I haven't used the correct terminology but I hope this gives you a rough idea how it works
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (147)
40.27%
They're exactly what I expected (91)
24.93%