Help with fear about starting Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree.

Watch this thread
PeterSmith2022
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I am due to start a 3 year EEE degree starting in 2022.

The course start date is getting closer and I am starting to feel nervous about starting due to not having the recommended academic qualifications going into the course.

I will give you a bit of background about myself. I am 30 years old, married and I have 9 years Military experience in an Electrical Engineering based branch. I would consider myself to have very good practical skills with Electrical equipment and electronics and have studied the theory to a NVQ level 3 standard. Fortunately, I naturally enjoy mathematics however I do not have anything higher than a GCSE in this. I touched on some AS level maths during my studies which I managed fine however I appreciate that this won't be the standard required at university. As for physics, I think I could pick it up relatively ok however my foundation isn't so strong.

I submitted my application on UCAS and was given unconditional offers from a few London universities. None of these are Russell Group and all are on the lower end of the rankings which I am fine with. I think they all understood that I have academic shortfalls however was prepared to take me on due to my experience in the engineering field.

I accepted one of them and spoke with a Professor on an open day. He told me not to worry about my lack of academic foundation as I will be taught it on the 1st year of the course.

Now the date is approaching, I am starting to get quite anxious that I may be too far out of my depth. I have coped with some very high pace, stressful situations throughout my time in the military and I have a good level of discipline to keep pushing through when times are tough however this is completely new to me and I want to be realistic of what I should be expecting. Could any EEE students/graduates please help me with the following questions as it will be hugely appreciated.

1.) Will the fact that I am going to a lower ranked university make passing the course more achievable and manageable rather than being thrown into an EEE course at the likes of Imperial?

2.) Despite my lack of A levels, with good self discipline and hard work, will it be possible to pass the 1st year of this course? I am prepared to pay for extra tuition outside of contact hours if needs be.

3.) Will I have the opportunity to hit the ground running during the 1st year and learn what I need there? I have heard from some people that they felt like they repeated a lot of A level learning during their 1st year at university.

I understand that I could do a foundation year however unfortunately this is not an option for me. Taking 3 years out from a salary was all that I could afford to do with my monthly outgoings and my wife and I plan to start a family so the 3 year gap from a salary was the maximum that I can afford to do.

I really do appreciate any honest and constructive feedback that any of you may be able to offer.

Thank you for reading.

Peter.
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PeterSmith2022)

The course start date is getting closer and I am starting to feel nervous about starting due to not having the recommended academic qualifications going into the course.

I will give you a bit of background about myself. I am 30 years old, married and I have 9 years Military experience in an Electrical Engineering based branch. I would consider myself to have very good practical skills with Electrical equipment and electronics and have studied the theory to a NVQ level 3 standard. Fortunately, I naturally enjoy mathematics however I do not have anything higher than a GCSE in this. I touched on some AS level maths during my studies which I managed fine however I appreciate that this won't be the standard required at university. As for physics, I think I could pick it up relatively ok however my foundation isn't so strong.

I submitted my application on UCAS and was given unconditional offers from a few London universities. None of these are Russell Group and all are on the lower end of the rankings which I am fine with. I think they all understood that I have academic shortfalls however was prepared to take me on due to my experience in the engineering field.

I accepted one of them and spoke with a Professor on an open day. He told me not to worry about my lack of academic foundation as I will be taught it on the 1st year of the course.

Now the date is approaching, I am starting to get quite anxious that I may be too far out of my depth. I have coped with some very high pace, stressful situations throughout my time in the military and I have a good level of discipline to keep pushing through when times are tough however this is completely new to me and I want to be realistic of what I should be expecting. Could any EEE students/graduates please help me with the following questions as it will be hugely appreciated.

1.) Will the fact that I am going to a lower ranked university make passing the course more achievable and manageable rather than being thrown into an EEE course at the likes of Imperial?

2.) Despite my lack of A levels, with good self discipline and hard work, will it be possible to pass the 1st year of this course? I am prepared to pay for extra tuition outside of contact hours if needs be.

3.) Will I have the opportunity to hit the ground running during the 1st year and learn what I need there? I have heard from some people that they felt like they repeated a lot of A level learning during their 1st year at university.

I understand that I could do a foundation year however unfortunately this is not an option for me. Taking 3 years out from a salary was all that I could afford to do with my monthly outgoings and my wife and I plan to start a family so the 3 year gap from a salary was the maximum that I can afford to do.

I really do appreciate any honest and constructive feedback that any of you may be able to offer.

Thank you for reading.

Peter.
1) I do not think going to a lower ranked university will make passing the course more achievable because I am pretty sure all universities have core material that needs to be taught regardless of where you go to.

2) Yes with self-discipline + hard work it should be possible.

3) Well is that not the purpose of first year though? To make sure students from different educational backgrounds reach a common level by the end of it?

I might be a bit biased (since I am more theoretucally inclined) but in my opinion it is easier to do well in theory (i.e. going through lecture courses + exams) than practical (e.g. electronics). This is because you only have a chance to do lab work in a laboratory but for problem sheets etc you can practice them pretty much anywhere anytime anyhow. So given that you have more experience with electronics than other students due to military service, it should make practicals a piece of cake would it not?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PeterSmith2022)

Thank you for reading.

Peter.
I think you’ll be fine, you may find with the maths their is a big step up & that you are initially further behind then some of your peers, but once you work through it you’ll be fine. Honestly you’ll also have 1 advantage over other students snd that is you are more focused, most students at 19 are out trying to drink or shag till 4am, and ignore half the resources in front of them whereas you’ll probably treat your degree & university offerings with a greater degree of appreciation.

In first year you’ll have the time to put more work in, I think if you bring strong work ethic & motivation you’ll find you progress. You have a few months between now & October so maybe use it to start trying to get to grips with A-level mathematics (don’t try and do all of it, just build up the core knowledge and plan to practice).

You probably would struggle at Imperial or maybe one of the more academic institutions, but your going to a university which probably regularly takes students from HNC and has a program that takes them from here to EE engineers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
33.33%
Take a gap year (5)
20.83%
Resit my exams (6)
25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12.5%
I don't know yet (1)
4.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads