When should I start to revise?

Watch this thread
Lily Sandell
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in year 10 but going into year 11 in September, and I am soo soo stressed about my GCSEs. I can hardly remember anything in some of my subjects, I have a bad memory any way due to medical reasons. Also I have missed probably about 2-3 terms/ half terms of year 10 due to medical conditions. I also struggle with quite a lot of my learning. Sorry for pouring this all out.
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Given that you missed quite a lot of year 10 I think you should revise all of the year 10 content this summer because in Year 11 the teachers are going to assume Year 10 knowledge.
Funtimes01_
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lily Sandell)
I am in year 10 but going into year 11 in September, and I am soo soo stressed about my GCSEs. I can hardly remember anything in some of my subjects, I have a bad memory any way due to medical reasons. Also I have missed probably about 2-3 terms/ half terms of year 10 due to medical conditions. I also struggle with quite a lot of my learning. Sorry for pouring this all out.
It depends, maybe revise now if you really struggle.
I don't know if it's different with the newer syllabus, but you may come Yr 11 have GCSE mock exams in all your subjects in late November and December, and then again in March before official examinations. These are there to make sure you're hitting your target grade, or at least a Pass/Grade 4. But I don't know whether you guys or all schools did them, and still do them or not.
So for sure, to make sure you get a 4 in everything I'd maybe have a look at the content now that you've done in Yr 10, as you'll have to revise the Yr 11 content as well. Good luck to you kid and sorry to hear of your illnesses.
tahildacanter
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Year 11 will be a struggle but you can do this! Since you missed quite a lot of lessons, it will be quite difficult to cover all the topics you've missed. The summer holidays is a great time to get a stronger grasp of your subjects, you can look at exam specifications and use it as a checklist to see which topics you've learnt. In year 11 the amount of practice tests will probably increase, so doing some past papers may help as it covers the main topics you need to learn anyway.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i'd start revision/consolidation from the beginning of the year but not hardcore- just reviewing notes and going through textbook questions to make sure you have notes on all the content covered so far. you probably remember more than you think.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ask your teachers for as much year 10 content. Website links, books, test papers they can give you before you break up. Theres some you tube videos like primrose kitten who is very good with maths and science. Amoeba sisters is a fun one for biology.
If your bad with memory, you wont want revision for the same subject that goes on for hours and hours. So make a time table and switch it up a bit. Then come year 11, just keep it up but add the new content you have learned.
Lily Sandell
Rep:
(Original post by Luwei)
Given that you missed quite a lot of year 10 I think you should revise all of the year 10 content this summer because in Year 11 the teachers are going to assume Year 10 knowledge.
Thank you for this advice, the teachers who I should have to year 11 are really good and understanding and willing to help me with what I have missed. Thank you again
Lily Sandell
Rep:
(Original post by Ghostlady)
Ask your teachers for as much year 10 content. Website links, books, test papers they can give you before you break up. Theres some you tube videos like primrose kitten who is very good with maths and science. Amoeba sisters is a fun one for biology.
If your bad with memory, you wont want revision for the same subject that goes on for hours and hours. So make a time table and switch it up a bit. Then come year 11, just keep it up but add the new content you have learned.
Thank you very much!
Lily Sandell
Rep:
Thank you
sppedcup
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
id start revising now becuase year 10 stuff is half of the gcse content
Lily Sandell
Rep:
(Original post by sppedcup)
id start revising now becuase year 10 stuff is half of the gcse content
Ok, thank you I’m trying as much as I can to do this
Lily Sandell
Rep:
(Original post by Funtimes01_)
It depends, maybe revise now if you really struggle.
I don't know if it's different with the newer syllabus, but you may come Yr 11 have GCSE mock exams in all your subjects in late November and December, and then again in March before official examinations. These are there to make sure you're hitting your target grade, or at least a Pass/Grade 4. But I don't know whether you guys or all schools did them, and still do them or not.
So for sure, to make sure you get a 4 in everything I'd maybe have a look at the content now that you've done in Yr 10, as you'll have to revise the Yr 11 content as well. Good luck to you kid and sorry to hear of your illnesses.
Thank you so much, I think we might be doing mocks and we have just done a progress test in some subjects
sppedcup
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ok, thank you I’m trying as much as I can to do this
I was in the same position
Even when I started year 11 I was still doing some year 10 topics
Just pace yourself and allow 2 weeks before exams to do past papers
Try the end of chapter questions too and ask your teachers for the textbook answers to help with revision

You’ll be more than prepared if you start now I think I started in mid August/ early august
StudyMind
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Heya! I would recommend going over Year 10 material and making notes on them during the summer holidays, especially July-August before your school starts again so that you can keep all the information in your mind. Your teachers will assume that you know everything from Year 10 and are ready for Year 11 which is not always the case

You don't need to do 5 hrs revision everyday though, just perhaps dedicate 1hrs or 2hrs every other day going over a topic and make yourself notes or do some revision questions (remember it's also a holiday and you need the rest!). Personally I had a dedicated book where I kept all the information of a certain subject in one place from year 10 which I used at any point during year 11. Perhaps it would also be helpful if you started looking into year 11 material and see what you have ahead! Tons of my friends would start their revision for next academic year during the summer just to know what they are up against. You could ask your teachers for some advice as well! If it helps I can recommend you these free resources to help you with making notes!

Have you also considered getting a GCSE tutor? The tutors will help you with a personalised revision plan and help you understand the material in a better more effective way! If you are interested, here is a link to study mind tutors, but you are not obligated to do so!

Hope this helps and good luck with your revision!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
67.65%
In the post (4)
3.92%
Text (14)
13.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.71%

Watched Threads