Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit rubbish at this so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out...:p:

My boyfriend found out today that he has enough tickets for me to go to his graduation on the 21st November, and I'm about to go and book time off work today :cool:
    The problem is, he lives in Middlesbrough and I'm all the way down here in the south. Usually when I buy tickets to go and see him they're £60+, but I don't reaaaaally want to pay that! I've heard of splitting tickets and doing 2 singles instead of a return and all those tricks, but nothing seems to get the price down - I don't know if I'm doing something wrong :confused:
    I have a 16-25 railcard and I need to go from Watford Junction - Middlesbrough, or from London Kings Cross - Middlesbrough from 1pm on the 21st November and coming back from 1pm on the 23rd November.

Is it too short notice to get good fares?

ReputationRep:
    Hide in the toilet

ReputationRep:
    It's because you're not booking far enough in advance in order to get the advance saver tickets which are the cheapest (I think it's normally 4 - 6 weeks before the date of travel that they are released). All you can is look at the price for two singles and the price for a return, and go with whichever one is the cheapest, because you won't get it any cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Try Megabus and National Express some of the way? However, they can be slower/more expensive sometimes.

Travel costs are crazy; no wonder everyone drives their own car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    It's because you're not booking far enough in advance in order to get the advance saver tickets which are the cheapest (I think it's normally 4 - 6 weeks before the date of travel that they are released). All you can is look at the price for two singles and the price for a return, and go with whichever one is the cheapest, because you won't get it any cheaper.
    That's what I thought
    There are some 'hardcore tricks' on www.moneysavingexpert.com that I was hoping would work for me but it doesn't look like it. Plus they seem kinda dodgy and I don't think I'd be able to stand up to anyone that challenges why I've got 4 tickets for one journey-type thing :p:
    Thanks anyway Guess I'll just have to fork out £50ish to get up there! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Advance advance advance is the way to go. Try and book about five weeks before you go next time, can get it dirt cheap. I plan to go to Birmingham sometime soon, and the tickets are about £7 each way far enough in advance from London.

Having said that the 21st is still eleven days away, so advance tickets are still an option (if limited now). Compare with a day return and buy the cheapest, tis the best you can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Try Megabus and National Express some of the way? However, they can be slower/more expensive sometimes.

Travel costs are crazy; no wonder everyone drives their own car.
    I've gone by Megabus before (cost me £8 which was a bargain!) but I get really bad travel sickness on buses - especially when it takes 8 hours like London-Middlesbrough does. There's also only one bus a day and it gets up there quite late. Plus once, I was stuck behind this woman who was on the phone complaining about the government/shouting about women's rights to some poor soul what seemed like all the way up.
    I want the... 'luxury' of a train this time, haha
    Thankyou though and yeah, i'm kinda wishing I could drive now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    u can take a look at some related tickets website,
    at least it's better for you rather than posting here

ReputationRep:
    I seem to recall there's a website called Megatrain (same people as Megabus obviously) with very cheap fares. There's a limited choice of destinations but might be worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    Your main problem is that you're wanting to travel from London on a friday afternoon and return on a Sunday. These are the busiest days for travel as everyone going up and down the country to go home for the weekend or visit family will be travelling at the same time. The cheap tickets get sold out quicker for this reason. If you were going at a differnet time it wouldn't matter than you're only looking a week or so ahead, as you can still get some good tickets.
    I've just played around online and split the journey up in various places to see what comes up, but it seems you're not going to be able to get any of the cheap tickets.
    Megatrain don't opperate on the weekends so thats no good, and you can only go as far north as Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest I can find so far has been £64.70...I tried the two singles thing as well but dearer

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    "Cheap" and "Trains" really shouldn't be put remotely near each other. I travel from Norwich to Berwick on Tweed to see my boyfriend, and it costs me £60-71 each time with my railcard.. makes me rage! It's best to buy them as far in advance as possible (I think the maximum you can do is 12 weeks), then you'll get 2 single tickets. The disadvantage is that you MUST travel on the train at the time and date specified, as opposed to the usual saver return, which gives you a month to use to the ticket. Prices also come down a lot to the day and time you're travelling.

I hate trains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    "Cheap" and "Trains" really shouldn't be put remotely near each other. I travel from Norwich to Berwick on Tweed to see my boyfriend, and it costs me £60-71 each time with my railcard.. makes me rage! It's best to buy them as far in advance as possible (I think the maximum you can do is 12 weeks), then you'll get 2 single tickets. The disadvantage is that you MUST travel on the train at the time and date specified, as opposed to the usual saver return, which gives you a month to use to the ticket. Prices also come down a lot to the day and time you're travelling.

I hate trains.
    I love them. :love:

I don't much like LDRs though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I love them. :love:

I don't much like LDRs though.
    I'm not sure I do either.. lovely once I'm up there, sucks balls in between though! And okay, so I don't entirely hate trains - I love relaxing and staring out of the window for hours when I'm on there, listening to the arguments when somebody has an invalid ticket or an out of date railcard, having conversations with total strangers.. I just hate paying for them. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I managed to blag a free first class ride from Newark to London St Pancras last week, if that helps in any way, shape or form. Was doing it for charity though...

ReputationRep:
    You need to book early enough in advance.
    Another thing is to look at the times of trains.
    A lot of the late morning/ late night trains are cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    That's what I thought
    There are some 'hardcore tricks' on www.moneysavingexpert.com that I was hoping would work for me but it doesn't look like it. Plus they seem kinda dodgy and I don't think I'd be able to stand up to anyone that challenges why I've got 4 tickets for one journey-type thing :p:
    Thanks anyway Guess I'll just have to fork out £50ish to get up there! :rolleyes:
    bit late here i know, butttt it is in the terms of carriage of national rail that you CAN do this, PROVIDING the train stops at each destination on your ticket, if that makes any sense. so, from newcastle to london, giving a general example.. you could buy a ticket from newcastle to say, i dont know, place x. and then from place x to london. providing that train stops at place x, youll be fine to do it. if the conductor pipes up, just quote that the terms of carriage of national rail do in fact allow you to do this!!!

oh, and im travelling to manchester on monday and still managed to get cheap fares, and im travelling to swindon on friday, and ive got majorly cheap tickets... so, give it a look. i use www.qjump.co.uk, but it is the same as www.thetrainline.com etc as they all use the same system for ticket booking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    I managed to blag a free first class ride from Newark to London St Pancras last week, if that helps in any way, shape or form. Was doing it for charity though...
    I've done that too. Edinburgh - London, then the tube, then London - Dover. All for free as train people are nice and let on random students doing stupid things for charity
    Although you gotta have proof and be dressed like an idiot so it doesn't work on a day to day thing!

Where were you going to for yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    I'm not sure I do either.. lovely once I'm up there, sucks balls in between though! And okay, so I don't entirely hate trains - I love relaxing and staring out of the window for hours when I'm on there, listening to the arguments when somebody has an invalid ticket or an out of date railcard, having conversations with total strangers.. I just hate paying for them. :yep:
    Me too; the TOCs charge what they want because they effectively hold a monopoly over where you want to go (with the possible exception of the East and West Coast Main Lines, to Scotland, to which you can go by plane as well from London).

Random convos with strangers ftw though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    I'm a bit rubbish at this so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out...:p:

My boyfriend found out today that he has enough tickets for me to go to his graduation on the 21st November, and I'm about to go and book time off work today :cool:
    The problem is, he lives in Middlesbrough and I'm all the way down here in the south. Usually when I buy tickets to go and see him they're £60+, but I don't reaaaaally want to pay that! I've heard of splitting tickets and doing 2 singles instead of a return and all those tricks, but nothing seems to get the price down - I don't know if I'm doing something wrong :confused:
    I have a 16-25 railcard and I need to go from Watford Junction - Middlesbrough, or from London Kings Cross - Middlesbrough from 1pm on the 21st November and coming back from 1pm on the 23rd November.
    Don't think you'll get better than that by train I'm afraid.
    Is it too short notice to get good fares?
    Cheapest I can find; on the National Express East Coast website:
    On the 21st: 0615 from Kings Cross changing at Darlington = £22.35
    and
    On the 23rd: 1438 from Middlesborough changing in Darlo = £27.60
    TOTAL: £49.95.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.