Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cheap train fares? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I've done that too. Edinburgh - London, then the tube, then London - Dover. All for free as train people are nice and let on random students doing stupid things for charity
    Although you gotta have proof and be dressed like an idiot so it doesn't work on a day to day thing!

Where were you going to for yours?
    This was a miniature version of what we do, to Brighton. The big one is to Croatia at Easter. Last year we went to Estonia. Budget = £15, to cover those times when you really have no option but to pay for a tram or bus.

ReputationRep:
    Megabus:

15:00 Depart London, Victoria Coach Station
    Arrive Middlesbrough Bus Station Stand 30 20:50 1 seat = £15.00

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    I managed to blag a free first class ride from Newark to London St Pancras last week, if that helps in any way, shape or form. Was doing it for charity though...
    Newark..... North Gate...
    to
    London St Pancras International.

Hmmmm. Think not. :nah:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Kings Cross maybe?

ReputationRep:
    www.thetrainline.com
    can then search for cheapest fares
    orrr how about on a coach? i went from leeds to birmingham on friday for £10.50 last min with national express
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    I'm a bit rubbish at this so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out...:p:

My boyfriend found out today that he has enough tickets for me to go to his graduation on the 21st November, and I'm about to go and book time off work today :cool:
    The problem is, he lives in Middlesbrough and I'm all the way down here in the south. Usually when I buy tickets to go and see him they're £60+, but I don't reaaaaally want to pay that! I've heard of splitting tickets and doing 2 singles instead of a return and all those tricks, but nothing seems to get the price down - I don't know if I'm doing something wrong :confused:
    I have a 16-25 railcard and I need to go from Watford Junction - Middlesbrough, or from London Kings Cross - Middlesbrough from 1pm on the 21st November and coming back from 1pm on the 23rd November.

Is it too short notice to get good fares?
    A train up the ECML cant be too expensive, book early as possible. Have you got a rail card? Get off at Darlington and regional train into boro rather than booking connections. You can also bus from Durham and Newcastle that will cost £5/6 max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    www.thetrainline.com
    can then search for cheapest fares
    orrr how about on a coach? i went from leeds to birmingham on friday for £10.50 last min with national express
    x
    thetrainline slaps on lots of extra charges, use a train operating company website such as nationalexpresseastcoast.com

One option for the OP could be to catch a Grand Central service from Thornaby, however, there are only three of these trains a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    This was a miniature version of what we do, to Brighton. The big one is to Croatia at Easter. Last year we went to Estonia. Budget = £15, to cover those times when you really have no option but to pay for a tram or bus.
    Ah wicked, we were going to Paris but we then hitched from Dover. I think they did Dublin this semester then its Prague some time in the early year. We didn't have any money though as its supposed to be who can get there the quickest without spending any money, but then I guess if everyone has a set amount then its fair. Tallinn would be really fun to get to, although its abit rubbish once you arrive! (I live near there at the minute)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    thetrainline slaps on lots of extra charges, use a train operating company website such as nationalexpresseastcoast.com
    oh yeah i dont bye them from them only search for them then buy them from nationalrail
    its only £1 they add ... saves me like £24 though
    X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Ah wicked, we were going to Paris but we then hitched from Dover. I think they did Dublin this semester then its Prague some time in the early year. We didn't have any money though as its supposed to be who can get there the quickest without spending any money, but then I guess if everyone has a set amount then its fair. Tallinn would be really fun to get to, although its abit rubbish once you arrive! (I live near there at the minute)
    Well we did find a nice coffee shop and went to some insane nightclub in which I'm fairly sure I got spiked, before losing my passport and bank card and waking up four hours after my flight went the following day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Me too; the TOCs charge what they want because they effectively hold a monopoly over where you want to go
    To be fair to the TOCs, who I consider to be tantamount to scum, train fares are rather more complex than that, and they aren't simply out to take all your money. With a little over a week left Expression found a £49 return fare from London to Middlesbrough. Less than £25 each way sounds like a bargain to me, if you compare that to the cost of flying from Heathrow to Tees Valley, or the cost of driving a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Less than £25 each way sounds like a bargain to me, if you compare that to the cost of flying from Heathrow to Tees Valley, or the cost of driving a car.
    Really? That's about what it would cost me to drive the same distance with one person in the car, but without the option to take other people/lots of luggage/taking me directly from door to door, and I would guess that ticket requires you to be on a particular train. I'd use the train more if it wasn't significantly less convenient and more expensive than driving the car - if I'm sharing the car then there's just no comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Book in advance and avoid going to London like it's the plague.

Opt for some slower trains. They work out cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Really? That's about what it would cost me to drive the same distance with one person in the car, but without the option to take other people/lots of luggage/taking me directly from door to door, and I would guess that ticket requires you to be on a particular train. I'd use the train more if it wasn't significantly less convenient and more expensive than driving the car - if I'm sharing the car then there's just no comparison.
    That's indeed true. London to Middlesbrough by car would be cheaper than travelling by train. On the other hand, the train would be quicker. It would be more comfortable. It would be less stressful. And you've overlooked the associated costs of owning and running a car. From my point of view as a non-driver, there's little incentive to splash out silly money only to be asked for more and more. With the train you pay for what you use and no more.

ReputationRep:
    I recon £40 is stretching it driving from London-Middlesbrough considering a round trip is around 460 miles...

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, the train would be quicker.
    Fair point in this case, but often it's not true, particularly if there's no direct train to your destination. You also haven't considered time to and from stations.
    It would be more comfortable.
    Really? My car's more comfortable than any train I've been on, and I can control the music and temperature as I wish.
    It would be less stressful.
    Fair point, until things start going wrong with the train and you're being kept completely in the dark!
    And you've overlooked the associated costs of owning and running a car.
    True, but as I have a car those are costs I will incur pretty much regardless of whether or not I drive it. I won't be giving up my car as there are places I go that are near inaccesible by public transport, and it's also a little tricky to get a 16ft boat from Southampton to Scotland on the train!
    Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade you from using trains - I just think it's a little inaccurate to say that the train is a bargain relative to a car, and that's before you start getting passengers in the car. I would happily use the train rather than my car if they were at least one of quicker/cheaper/more convenient, but, certainly for the kind of travelling I do, they generally aren't. When they are (like this weekend, getting to Twickenham) I'll use the train.
    (Original post by Crisps)
    I recon £40 is stretching it driving from London-Middlesbrough considering a round trip is around 460 miles...
    Well, it was £49 to start off with, and my car will do about 45-50mpg so it's not too far off. 460/45*4.54*1.069= £49.61, but as you will probably need some other transport to and from the stations any saving you might make taking the train will probably disappear by the time you've got a local train/bus/taxi.

ReputationRep:
    nope even the trainline advance can't get cheaper than 62

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade you from using trains - I just think it's a little inaccurate to say that the train is a bargain relative to a car.
    And I'm sure you'll be happy to admit than a large number of cases it is vice versa In a city like Edinburgh, the car will never be cheaper than other means of transport. I'm not trying to dissuade you from using cars - heck I occasionally get a lift somewhere! But an example I always like to cite is that when I lived in Stockport, I could get from my front door to that of my friend in east London in under three hours. For a round fare of £25. You'd never manage that in a car.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm sure you'll be happy to admit than a large number of cases it is vice versa In a city like Edinburgh, the car will never be cheaper than other means of transport. I'm not trying to dissuade you from using cars - heck I occasionally get a lift somewhere! But an example I always like to cite is that when I lived in Stockport, I could get from my front door to that of my friend in east London in under three hours. For a round fare of £25. You'd never manage that in a car.
    I'd say the balance is majorly in favour of the car, or at least it is in my experience, and I've used trains a lot. I work up in Scotland in the summer, and I've never managed the return journey in under 12 hours, whereas it's about 6 by car, for the same price (I always broke the journey up at my grandparents). On two occasions I wasn't even able to get a seat, and travelled from Bristol to Carlisle sat on the floor of the buffet car or luggage compartment! An example I'd cite would be going home after my leavers' ball - north London to just outside Bristol took me over 8 hours, whereas it's 2 1/2 by car.
    Also, couldn't beat the time, but if my car was loaded up with mates I reckon I could beat that price!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.