Applying to University as a mature student?

Watch this thread
bluebee7
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am looking to apply to university and I am not sure if I get in with my current grades?

I have 11 GCSE's between B-E.

Any advice?
isilbell
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You’ll most probably need something like an access course in replace of A levels. What do you want to study?
bluebee7
Rep:
Thanks for replying.
Architecture, History or law
(Original post by isilbell)
You’ll most probably need something like an access course in replace of A levels. What do you want to study?
normaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bluebee7)
Thanks for replying.
Architecture, History or law
It takes around eight years to qualify as an architect: a three-year bachelors degree, a year (or two) in practice, a further two years at univerity to complete a masters, and then around two more years in practice to complete part three. The majority of unis will also require a creative portfolio as part of the application process. More info here:

https://arb.org.uk/student-informati...dent-handbook/
dangermau5e
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I decided to apply to uni in October 2021 and eventually started in September last year. I only had 88 UCAS points from A-Levels about 15 years ago (already had the required minimum C grades in English and maths GCSE) so I did an Access to Higher Education Diploma via DistanceLearningCentre.com. Decided to go with them because it meant I could go at my own pace. Finished that in 6 months and ended up with an additional 138 UCAS points and easily met the conditions of my uni course offer. Just finished my 1st year of uni. Best thing I ever did!
dbhc2411
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dangermau5e)
I decided to apply to uni in October 2021 and eventually started in September last year. I only had 88 UCAS points from A-Levels about 15 years ago (already had the required minimum C grades in English and maths GCSE) so I did an Access to Higher Education Diploma via DistanceLearningCentre.com. Decided to go with them because it meant I could go at my own pace. Finished that in 6 months and ended up with an additional 138 UCAS points and easily met the conditions of my uni course offer. Just finished my 1st year of uni. Best thing I ever did!
I can vouch for this. I had crappy A Levels, and did an Access to HE with these guys too - now I'm going to a fantastic university in September.
Last edited by dbhc2411; 1 month ago
bluebee7
Rep:
Thank you so much
(Original post by normaw)
It takes around eight years to qualify as an architect: a three-year bachelors degree, a year (or two) in practice, a further two years at univerity to complete a masters, and then around two more years in practice to complete part three. The majority of unis will also require a creative portfolio as part of the application process. More info here:

https://arb.org.uk/student-informati...dent-handbook/
bluebee7
Rep:
(Original post by dbhc2411)
I can vouch for this. I had crappy A Levels, and did an Access to HE with these guys too - now I'm going to a fantastic university in September.
Congratulations
bluebee7
Rep:
(Original post by dangermau5e)
Awesome. I will take notes and see what happens
Kvgcm
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I've just had an unconditional offer for psychology with a foundation year at newman (meh university but for a hell of a lot of reasons it's a good fit for me) based on just my GCSEs and personal statement however I did have 11 GCSEs at A-C with you 6 of them being A

It can be done but you have to be passionate about the subject you want to study and accept you won't be going to a top tier university most likely
D_Rkman
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bluebee7)
Hi, I am looking to apply to university and I am not sure if I get in with my current grades?

I have 11 GCSE's between B-E.

Any advice?
Some Universities have Foundation courses that would service as a stepping stone to a degree. You would spend 1 year studying before starting the degree.
E.g. History with Foundation year (4 years)
Your local college may offer courses that would result in a qualification that Universities would accept when applying. The Open University also offer these types of courses including foundation degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.86%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.4%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (73)
51.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads