The Student Room Group

Bachelor at different uni to masters

is applying for the normal 3 year bachelor degree and then doing the extra year or 2 for the masters at a different uni a good idea? is the 2:1 normally required to do so difficult to achieve?, is it a good way to go to a better uni for a year to finish ur education?
Original post by tony00005
is applying for the normal 3 year bachelor degree and then doing the extra year or 2 for the masters at a different uni a good idea? is the 2:1 normally required to do so difficult to achieve?, is it a good way to go to a better uni for a year to finish ur education?

Hi @tony00005

Actually, moving universities to complete your masters is fairly common from what I’ve heard! Often, by the end of the 3 years, people are looking for a change of environment and decide to continue their studies elsewhere. I think whether you decide to change universities or not, you should hopefully enjoy your studies!

In terms of the grades, as long as you do the work to learn the content and complete your studies to the best of your ability, it should not be difficult to get a 2:1. I’m sure you’ll be absolutely fine!

Good luck with your studies!

Estelle
First Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Original post by tony00005

Generally a 2.1 is not an unrealistic goal.

yes it’s typically a 2.1 for a masters & yes it’s very possible to move university this way, often upwards in terms of reputation.

but this is really a bit of a simplification, ultimately your undergrad degree, modules & references will all be important as well as what masters you intend to pursue. For example it’s not unusual for some masters (particularly STEM) to have specific requirements from your undergraduate degree modules in order to preparation your for the masters and ensure your previous education is suitable preparation.
I did my masters at sane place as my undergrad. As they did have modules I really wanted to do
And they offered a 20% alumni discount
Also, masters are short and I was able to hit ground running in terms of having library set up, knowing my way round the learning systems etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending