Money advice for gap year travel

Watch this thread
user1909888
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all
Just wondering if you have ever taken a gap year, or even several months off travelling. How did you go about it financially?
Did you go mainly by savings? Did you work abroad or did you do an internship etc? Any other advice you would give other than finances too I am all ears.

flamingolover
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user1909888)
Hi all
Just wondering if you have ever taken a gap year, or even several months off travelling. How did you go about it financially?
Did you go mainly by savings? Did you work abroad or did you do an internship etc? Any other advice you would give other than finances too I am all ears.

Because of covid I never actually ended up going. I had 6 months between when my a levels where meant to end and when my uni course was due to start so I was doing to work basically full time for 2-3 months to save and then travel for the rest of the time. I know people who have gone and taught English for a month or two and then travelled off of that. It depends what you want to get out of the experience
gabi2021
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I worked before then left. But there are so many jobs you can do abroad this is a good way to earn money and save money on accommodation.
EdgeHillStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by user1909888)
Hi all

Hi user1909888,

A gap year is a great option for lots of people and lots of my friends either did or now wish they did take a gap year! I think it's a great option and certainly something I wish I had considered more. As far as I'm aware my friends saved up by work as much as they could before the year began over the Summer and during A-Levels, meaning they had a nice amount of savings to support them through the year. They then worked for a couple of months before traveling in order to afford to go - so basically just working as much as possible at home in between adventures. Working abroad is also a great idea which is possibly a better idea if you are thinking of going for a longer time period (for example a couple of months). My friend and I are actually considering working abroad next Summer for a couple of months - I think it is a great opportunity to experience a different place and culture without losing out too much financially.

I know a lot of my friends booked onto tours meaning they were traveling in a group of new people and were sharing accommodation, traveling with others and everything was sorted for them in a kind of package deal, etc, for example, one of my friends at the moment is doing Camp Bali which she seems to really be enjoying. There are of course pros and cons to this - for example being with others is nice as you feel safe and it is easy to make friends, however, you may prefer your independence and prefer to explore alone, meet new people along the way and be flexible in terms of traveling on or staying somewhere longer. I know lots of people recommend youth hostels especially if you are thinking of solo traveling as there are lots of people traveling on their own and it is a great opportunity to meet other solo travelers and make friends. It is apparently a very nice and inclusive vibe.

I hope this is helpful - good luck on your travels - stay safe!

Katie - Educational Psychology Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads