Just curious / yr 10 work experience.

Watch this thread
Jimins_hair.
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
lol i had no idea which forum to put this in so anyways-
school year is ending soon, in like three weeks. So, this monday (27th) i have work experience at a pharmacy.
so I'm just curious in what to expect? What jobs would I be doing etc.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jimins_hair.)
school year is ending soon, in like three weeks. So, this monday (27th) i have work experience at a pharmacy.
cos you are in year 10, you're a bit too young to man the tills, so probably stocking things up, and you might be able to shadow someone there. Is there a doctor's room in the pharmacy?
Jimins_hair.
Rep:
oh right, yeah thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure.
and yeah it does have a doctors room.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
oh right, yeah thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure.
and yeah it does have a doctors room.
then they might let you in to see how they deal with certain things.
Jimins_hair.
Rep:
ah right ok. thank you ^^
tahildacanter
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have a friend who did work experience at a pharmacy! You will probably help around with organising prescriptions, and if you are interested in the subject or science/medicine there's a chance (depending on who you work with) that you can have in-depth conversations with staff, and even be recommended books or advice if you are looking into this kind of work for future careers. The job may involve a lot of shadowing, but most places will try and get you as involved as possible. Hope you have fun!
Jimins_hair.
Rep:
ah ok, im looking forward to it, ty ^^
mrlittlebigman
Report 1 month ago
Probably nothing exciting!
Putting stock away, maybe serving customers, just observing what's going on.
Remember it's basically a shop where a healthcare profession is practised. Your age, and whether it is a chain pharmacy like Boots, or an independent like Mr Smith's chemist, may also factor into what you are allowed to do.

The best work experience students are eager to learn, ask questions, have a smile on their face, don't moan if asked to empty the bin or make the tea! Have a 'can-do' attitude, can hold a conversation, AND leave their phone in their bag!!

If you are really interested in a career in retail pharmacy, sign up to PharmacyMagazine and Chemist and Druggist sites, both for free, and then you'll even know a bit about what's going on in the profession to impress the boss with your knowledge!!
Good luck.
Jimins_hair.
Rep:
(Original post by mrlittlebigman)
Probably nothing exciting!
Putting stock away, maybe serving customers, just observing what's going on.
Remember it's basically a shop where a healthcare profession is practised. Your age, and whether it is a chain pharmacy like Boots, or an independent like Mr Smith's chemist, may also factor into what you are allowed to do.

The best work experience students are eager to learn, ask questions, have a smile on their face, don't moan if asked to empty the bin or make the tea! Have a 'can-do' attitude, can hold a conversation, AND leave their phone in their bag!!

If you are really interested in a career in retail pharmacy, sign up to PharmacyMagazine and Chemist and Druggist sites, both for free, and then you'll even know a bit about what's going on in the profession to impress the boss with your knowledge!!
Good luck.
hahah, thank u for ur advice! But u dont gotta worry abt the phone cuz i dont have one, so during lunch i just glared at my coke can. yes it was basically like that. I just sorted out some reciepts with their dates, then i unpacked some stock, organised some stock, organised more stock, and finally i could go home ;-;
i have issues so if i stand in one place for too long my spine goes really stiff and it hurts (always happens when washing dishes or putting laundry on rack) so thats was a "Nice" experience. plus its really crowded and theres barely any chairs soooo-
sorry about the rant- i just got back so i have a lot to say
mrlittlebigman
Report 1 month ago
hahah, thank u for ur advice! But u dont gotta worry abt the phone cuz i dont have one, so during lunch i just glared at my coke can. yes it was basically like that. I just sorted out some reciepts with their dates, then i unpacked some stock, organised some stock, organised more stock, and finally i could go home ;-;
i have issues so if i stand in one place for too long my spine goes really stiff and it hurts (always happens when washing dishes or putting laundry on rack) so thats was a "Nice" experience. plus its really crowded and theres barely any chairs soooo-
sorry about the rant- i just got back so i have a lot to say
That's fine, rant away. Work experience can be very boring when you're not really allowed to do anything apart from the boring [email protected] jobs!
Is there time to talk to the pharmacist when it (maybe) goes a bit quiet?
Jimins_hair.
Rep:
(Original post by mrlittlebigman)
That's fine, rant away. Work experience can be very boring when you're not really allowed to do anything apart from the boring [email protected] jobs!
Is there time to talk to the pharmacist when it (maybe) goes a bit quiet?
its been very busy, and hes always getting asked by other ppl on what to do next so he doesnt realy have any time to speak. however i learnt a lot of what goes on behind the scenes, however ive never really been interest in medicine etc im more into psychology which does weigh in with meds buuut still different ofc. Anyways it was a nice experience and i learnt how hard they work, even though its super hetic. Today was my last day (it only was for four days bc of trips and things)
mrlittlebigman
Report 1 month ago
its been very busy, and hes always getting asked by other ppl on what to do next so he doesnt realy have any time to speak. however i learnt a lot of what goes on behind the scenes, however ive never really been interest in medicine etc im more into psychology which does weigh in with meds buuut still different ofc. Anyways it was a nice experience and i learnt how hard they work, even though its super hetic. Today was my last day (it only was for four days bc of trips and things)
Well done for getting some wk. exp. in a community pharmacy. Did the pharmacist encourage you to do a pharmacy degree or did they advise against it?

Can you recall anything they said that other potential pharmacy students reading this might find of value?

How did you feel about the pharmacist trying to offer pharmaceutical/ medical services and advice, but in a retail setting?

This is an area many new, young pharmacists struggle with I find, as they are working in a business and that needs to make money to keep going, so there will be retail targets of takings to aim for and service quotas that earn money like flu jabs and blood pressure measurement readings that will earn revenue for the business.
Do you feel you could cope with that side of the business as well as being a healthcare professional?

(Sorry to ask so many questions but because of Covid, we aren't seeing many pple on here talking about getting any work experience!)

As you mention psychology, if you have an interest in something else, anything, where it can be taken to degree level, then I would suggest following the 'something else' ! You could do a post-grad or Masters and go down the clinical route to become a counsellor or psychotherapist, or educational psychologist; which I'm sure you will agree would be infinitely more rewarding than juggling many things at once in a retail based environment.

But as a pharmacy summer student's tutor, am interested to hear any thoughts on how the community/retail side is perceived by students/ 6th formers, etc.
Many thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads