Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop feeling tired? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now I suffer from depression and as such am a bit "lazy" not that Im a slob as I love going to the gym when im on one of my highs and going up town but if I have less than 10 hours a day sleep and get out of bed before lunch, the earlier the worst even I feel like its the middle of the night, all day.

Probably because one by bodys used to waking up late so for my body it is like its the middle of the night.

When I move to a new town im usually naturally buzzing so can wake up early and not feel tired but after a few weeks and humdrum lifestyle I get tired all the time again.

Before anyone says, the doc will do nothing for me about this keeps saying waiting list for councilling is massive and I have been on the waiting list since last Christmas!

All I need is good friends and to be accepted, unfortunatly being 26, fat and not very good looking means I get a lot of insults from the under 21, attractive party animals at uni.

So im at the point where to feel less tired and more confident I need some things to go my way, but to have things go my way I need to be more confident so im stuck.

Anyway to feel better and be less tired? I also noticed that now the days are shorter I feel more tired as I usually feel far more energetic in summer times as its light longer.

ReputationRep:
    hm, I don't know if my experience will be similar to yours...I have a lot of difficulty sleeping so I'm often tired cause of that, and I used to be diagnosed with depression altho that has been rethought recently...

ANYWAY. I usually find myself the most alert and awake when I get up quite early, as the sun is rising. sounds odd and might not work for everyone, but being asleep when it's light seems to mess with my body clock. if I wake up, despite being tired, and start the day with a biiiig mug of coffee, I'm usually ok. I must say I rely a lot on coffee and red bull too .
    your diet could also impact how tired you are, what's that like?

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer to thread title; go to sleep.

Complicated answer, not available; too much variables.

ReputationRep:
    ... Try Valium

ReputationRep:
    InnocentEyes is right, your diet could really be affecting how tired you are. Do you eat well? Also, you mentioned that you exercise, but is that regularly? I know it sounds really stupid, because if your tired then the logical answer is to rest, but often it's your mind that's tired but not neccesarily your body. Exercising and eating well have really helped my sleeping patterns. I suffer from stress/tiredness induced headaches which can be very severe, so sleep is really important for me Dunno if that's any help to you , but I hope it is!

ReputationRep:
    Its when I feel like it since I love doing it but when I do it gives me zero free time, I do a lot of walking around town though.

The problem with me and sleep is, even if I stay up and had no sleep for say 2 days after 8 or so hours I will wake up even though I feel crap and though im dry eyed and exhausted I cant sleep and at most doze.

My diet is bad, I eat junk like microwave meals since again in a circle im too tired to cook plus my kitchen is shared and has overflowing bins and wheelie bins out back are full so its a bad place to cook.

I love home made stuff, even chicken wraps, or a curry(still better than microwave or take away) or mince and tatties, or home made soup but cant be bothered making them since im so exhausted.

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Your problem might very well be with your diet then. I know it definitely sounds like mumbo-jumbo nonsense, but the high fat/sugar content of microwave meals and stuff will more than likely be having a relaly bad effect on you.

Something my sister (whose at uni) does, is makes big portions of things, then freezes teh leftovers, so that all she has to do is defrost them when she needs to eat. Would you be able to do something like that?

ReputationRep:
    phisycal health causes metal health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice)
    Ah. Your problem might very well be with your diet then. I know it definitely sounds like mumbo-jumbo nonsense, but the high fat/sugar content of microwave meals and stuff will more than likely be having a relaly bad effect on you.

Something my sister (whose at uni) does, is makes big portions of things, then freezes teh leftovers, so that all she has to do is defrost them when she needs to eat. Would you be able to do something like that?
    Still have to cook them which means making them when tired lol.

I agree that its partly food related but also stress and depression since before I became depressed due to family issues I never felt anywhere near this tired and lived off next to nothing(think a 35p Tesco value spaghetti a week) and felt far more energetic(though had a groaning stomach as was hungry all the time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)

I agree that its partly food related but also stress and depression since before I became depressed due to family issues I never felt anywhere near this tired and lived off next to nothing(think a 35p Tesco value spaghetti a week) and felt far more energetic(though had a groaning stomach as was hungry all the time)
    Hmm.. I'm not sure.
    I mean, if you really can't be bothered to cook, then there's nothing I can suggest from a diet point of view. One of the side-effects, as it were, of depression is feeling tired a lot. I've never been depressed myself, so I don't know what to recommend, but perhaps you could see your doctor?

ReputationRep:

but that would be due to starvation induced mania/hyperactivity.
    altho I do agree that if you suffer from depression it is probably contributing. are you taking anti-depressants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice)
    Hmm.. I'm not sure.
    I mean, if you really can't be bothered to cook, then there's nothing I can suggest from a diet point of view. One of the side-effects, as it were, of depression is feeling tired a lot. I've never been depressed myself, so I don't know what to recommend, but perhaps you could see your doctor?
    Already said they just put me on a massive waiting list.

But also I didnt say they wont prescribe anything till I am assessed by a councillor so its catch 22!

Its not that im not bothered cooking just I dont like it/feel comfortable since the place is a tip and I love cooking with someone together rather than on my own or with someone looking over my shoulder.

If I can get cheap meat though then im happy.

ReputationRep:
    Vitamins. And iron. I donate blood every three months and iron tablets help keeping me awake
    Oh and I'm usually a little depressed during autumn/winter but you just have to go out and have fun

ReputationRep:
    Human Growth Hormone, kills your fat off, rejuvinates your skin and makes you totally rested and full of energy. On the other hand if you don;t want to take a drug I would look at diet first and foremost, and then some more excercise to boost both mood and metabolism casuing better rest, fat loss and with it more confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Human Growth Hormone, kills your fat off, rejuvinates your skin and makes you totally rested and full of energy. On the other hand if you don;t want to take a drug I would look at diet first and foremost, and then some more excercise to boost both mood and metabolism casuing better rest, fat loss and with it more confidence.
    Hmm the side effects look terrible though. But looks good.

ReputationRep:
    See another doctor. a counsellor can't prescribe anything, nor can they diagnose you what rubbish you have to wait for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    See another doctor. a counsellor can't prescribe anything, nor can they diagnose you what rubbish you have to wait for that.
    I believe they mean that I need assessed by the counsellor just in case im trying to get some free drugs and once the counsellor agrees I have depression the doc will prescribe the drugs, and the doc told me it takes a few sessions to fully diagnose me and its just their rules!

ReputationRep:
    I believe they mean that I need assessed by the counsellor just in case im trying to get some free drugs and once the counsellor agrees I have depression the doc will prescribe the drugs, and the doc told me it takes a few sessions to fully diagnose me and its just their rules!
    They're being retarded. How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    They're being retarded. How old are you?
    Im 26 and dont use the R word I find it horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Im 26 and dont use the R word I find it horrible.
    Don't ask, demand to see another doctor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.