Advice for anything

Watch this thread
sickofthis
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Seeing as now I am free from the stress of exams, I’ve made this thread for anybody to ask for advice on anything (no judgement whatsoever). By no means am I an expert on anything but sometimes we just need to vent and I’ve made this thread for that exact reason.
ran-dumb
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What are you sick of, exams?
sickofthis
Rep:
(Original post by ran-dumb)
What are you sick of, exams?
Sick of everything 😂 and yes exams as well
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sickofthis)
Sick of everything 😂 and yes exams as well
Yeah it does that to you, I assume you're sixth form? Everyone crying on TSR is
sickofthis
Rep:
Yep I’m in sixth form so the wait for results day is agonising 😭 have to fill time up somehow 😂
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Ooo how’d your exams go? What subjects did you do?
sickofthis
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ooo how’d your exams go? What subjects did you do?
I do history, English and psychology! I think the exams went well but I’m hyper focusing on everything I think I’ve done wrong instead of thinking about what I’ve done well 😂
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I do history, English and psychology! I think the exams went well but I’m hyper focusing on everything I think I’ve done wrong instead of thinking about what I’ve done well 😂
Ah that’s great! I definitely get you on that point about fixating on the wrong. 😂 Best of luck for results day!
hyacinth77
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'd like some advice on how to gain more confidence. I feel that over the past two years I have improved somewhat in confidence but I still see myself hesitating after making solid decisions such as my choice of degree, the A Levels that I studied. Sometimes I get really overwhelmed over little things like applying for a job (which hasn't been successful yet ) and I get scared that I'll be stuck like this forever. Any advice would be much appreciated!
hyacinth77
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's a very interesting combo!

My exams also went quite well but yet I'm still worrying about my grades. If you're curious I did Spanish, Classics and Philosophy. Hopefully I won't have to resit.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hyacinth77)
Hi, I'd like some advice on how to gain more confidence. I feel that over the past two years I have improved somewhat in confidence but I still see myself hesitating after making solid decisions such as my choice of degree, the A Levels that I studied. Sometimes I get really overwhelmed over little things like applying for a job (which hasn't been successful yet ) and I get scared that I'll be stuck like this forever. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Hi again.

Perhaps look at challenging times where you've been underconfident in yourself but still achieved certain things which could help you to realise you're stronger than you think.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

sickofthis this is a great thread idea. Make the most of the summer by doing things that you enjoy. Exams can be very stressful so it's important you give yourself a break. You know how hard you've worked for the exams so hopefully it pays off.

Good luck for results day!
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
'Went well' sounds better than most people already. From my experience if you have the confidence to say that you basically crushed it
sickofthis
Rep:
'Went well' sounds better than most people already. From my experience if you have the confidence to say that you basically crushed it
Haha well I’m not going to be the type of person to say they went awfully and I couldn’t answer a question, when I know that it wasn’t the case. Also really? I thought people were overall quite happy with the exams but apparently not??
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Haha well I’m not going to be the type of person to say they went awfully and I couldn’t answer a question, when I know that it wasn’t the case. Also really? I thought people were overall quite happy with the exams but apparently not??
Oh I'm at uni now haha so I can't say for this year specifically but in general most people tend to think they did worse in exams than what they actually get in the end. Enjoy your hard earned rest while you brace for uni then. Whats your top choice
sickofthis
Rep:
Oh I'm at uni now haha so I can't say for this year specifically but in general most people tend to think they did worse in exams than what they actually get in the end. Enjoy your hard earned rest while you brace for uni then. Whats your top choice
Ok that’s very reassuring so I’ll bear that in mind. My top choice is Exeter and I’m (hopefully) doing Law so it’s good to hear from someone’s whose gone through it that things are most likely going to be ok!
sickofthis
Rep:
It's a very interesting combo!

My exams also went quite well but yet I'm still worrying about my grades. If you're curious I did Spanish, Classics and Philosophy. Hopefully I won't have to resit.
Hi @hyacinth I think I’ve spoken to you before about your interesting combo too, it must have been on my ‘how’d you find the exam’ thread. I’m worrying about my grades too but if you think that your exams have gone well, then chances are they are not bad enough to have to resit. Even if they aren’t exactly what you’re hoping for, they likely would be good enough to go through clearing with or even appeal if that’s possible. Keep holding out hope and I wish you the best of luck for your future!
sickofthis
Rep:
Hi! I’ve already responded to some of your other comments but I’ll deffo respond to this one more in depth and I hope I can be of help in any way. This will be long but I want to be of use regardless.

Firstly, it takes a lot of confidence in the first place to admit where your weakness are as a person. Some people will refuse to admit their lack of confidence or may try to hide it with arrogance. You certainly do not fit this idea so that’s already a plus.

Secondly, you admit that you have become more confident in the past two years. Perhaps, in order to build your confidence up even more, you can pinpoint the exact changes you have made in yourself in that initial change and work on those things more. Say for example, you started speaking to more people about things that you are good at and enjoy. Now you can take that and develop it, perhaps along the way you may find likeminded people who also enjoy those things.

About your inability to make solid decisions, a lot of people feel the same way! I know deep down in my heart that I want to do a Law degree, but I can’t shake this idea of doing a Politics one instead. It’s not a matter of you thinking you are unable of sticking to your choice, it’s your brain telling you to explore other choices and you should not feel guilty for not reaching a choice as quickly as other people.

Also, the idea that you haven’t yet been successful in getting a job should not be embarrassing. When I got rejected from Oxford, I was really certain that it was because I was just incapable of doing so. Thinking about it now, it’s because it’s deliberately hard to achieve those things ( there are thousands of people applying for jobs and you’re not the only one feeling this way).

Finally, you will not be this way forever. In fact, probably in a year or so, you will look back on this comment and laugh because the world moves so quickly and opportunities are thrown at you if you allow them to be. Everybody feels stuck once in a while, and a person as honest and open as you will have no issue reevaluating their personal situation to suit the needs of the time.

In essence, to gain more confidence, you have to be willing to do so (as you are 😊) , explore further the aspects of your life that you genuinely enjoy, be open to acknowledging other alternatives to your plan A and have no fear of failing or remaining stagnant.

I hope I have managed to be of some use and if you’d like to ask anything else, please do so. I’m here to listen! Best of luck
sickofthis
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi again.

Perhaps look at challenging times where you've been underconfident in yourself but still achieved certain things which could help you to realise you're stronger than you think.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

sickofthis this is a great thread idea. Make the most of the summer by doing things that you enjoy. Exams can be very stressful so it's important you give yourself a break. You know how hard you've worked for the exams so hopefully it pays off.

Good luck for results day!
Thank you so much for those lovely words: I wanted to make the thread because I know sometimes people need to be asked if they are ok before they admit it. I have worked really hard for these exams and feel they went overall well and so like you said, I do hope they pay off. Thank you so much for your words to me and your advice to the other people using this thread. 😊
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for those lovely words: I wanted to make the thread because I know sometimes people need to be asked if they are ok before they admit it. I have worked really hard for these exams and feel they went overall well and so like you said, I do hope they pay off. Thank you so much for your words to me and your advice to the other people using this thread. 😊
Haha that's definitely me. I try to angle things in such a way one time someone made a thread like this, I said they could do work or something if they were bored. I was hoping to start a conversation but they just went like get off my thread if you got no problems. Felt so awkward.
sickofthis
Rep:
Haha that's definitely me. I try to angle things in such a way one time someone made a thread like this, I said they could do work or something if they were bored. I was hoping to start a conversation but they just went like get off my thread if you got no problems. Felt so awkward.
Oh no, why do some people want others to have issues so badly? When I made a thread saying ‘Advice for anything’, anybody can give and get advice so it’s really odd and rude the way they spoke to you. Regardless, what you said to me made me feel better and if some people don’t appreciate that, then it’s a them issue not a you issue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (23)
17.83%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.03%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.88%

Watched Threads