Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you class yourself as British or by your actual country (English, Scottish etc?) watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems like most English people say the are British, but the Scots say they are Scottish, the Welsh say Welsh and Irish say Irish.

ReputationRep:
    Sshhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    and Irish say Irish.
    Well they would, because they aren't part of the United Kingdom British/British Crown territory.

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know say they are British and they are from Northern Ireland. I would say i'm Northern Irish.

ReputationRep:
    i class myself as nigerian tho i was born and raised here......

ReputationRep:
    Strange most English people I know say they are English because at some subconcious level they think Britain is England, even the national news talks about England and the English mainly

But im both, to my family im British but to people I just met at uni or work id say Scottish, but also British

ReputationRep:
    I am English

ReputationRep:
    I am Scottish

ReputationRep:
    London is Britain

ReputationRep:
    English!

ReputationRep:
    English

ReputationRep:
    Londoner.

ReputationRep:
    Both :|

ReputationRep:
    Scottish!

ReputationRep:
    yeh that's roughly it - i am scottish so i say that as i am proud of it and if i was english i might refer to myself as english or british.

although it does annoy me when people say they are british and think newcastle is "the north" and scotland is separate geographically - scotland is more north in britain!

ReputationRep:
    I am British. That being because I am half English, quarter Scots and quarter Irish.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    English. I hate that on forms they ask you to tick 'British', because I'm not, I'm English!

If I was in the situation Antonia describes I'd call myself British.

ReputationRep:
    Depends really. For official things I say British because it's easier, but otherwise I say Scottish and then get a puzzled look back from someone with the statement 'But you don't sound Scottish!'. Yes because you have to have a strong accent to be a certain nationality, really now? I then have to launch into my life history to explain why I sound English with an American/Aussie tilt.

Technically I probably AM British considering I'm half Scots, half English...but since I was born in Aberdeen, and it's infintely more awesome, I pick the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    yeh that's roughly it - i am scottish so i say that as i am proud of it and if i was english i might refer to myself as english or british.

although it does annoy me when people say they are british and think newcastle is "the north" and scotland is separate geographically - scotland is more north in britain!
    Lol I agree, I keep hearing about "the north of the country" on say the national news(yes the NATIONAL news not the English) then talking about Gateshead or Newcastle or something.

Thats why now when I hear the news and they say the north of the country its not till they say where that I know what they are talking about.

Anyway thinking back when I applied for uni and it asked nationality and I put in Scottish the woman in the welfare office asked me why I put that down and I had to change it to British!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Lol I agree, I keep hearing about "the north of the country" on say the national news(yes the NATIONAL news not the English) then talking about Gateshead or Newcastle or something.

Thats why now when I hear the news and they say the north of the country its not till they say where that I know what they are talking about.

Anyway thinking back when I applied for uni and it asked nationality and I put in Scottish the woman in the welfare office asked me why I put that down and I had to change it to British!
    They usually say Northern England.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.