Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you class yourself as British or by your actual country (English, Scottish etc?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I class myself as British because a major part of my DNA is from immediately outside of this island for me to feel content with the label of English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    They usually say Northern England.
    Not at first though, they say "the north" then start a news story then say something like "north yorkshire"

British.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I say I'm British. It's what it says on my passport after all.

I'm not English as far as I'm concerned - I wasn't even born in England.

ReputationRep:
    Being British is my nationality whilst being Bengali is my ethnicity ... having said that there was issues with having a Dual Nationality and all :p:

I usually go for British Bengali :yep:

Edit: Opps I guess I wasn't meant to post ... didn't realize it was for the people who are ethnically English/Scottish/Welsh or N.Irish :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Well they would, because they aren't part of the United Kingdom.
    I say British, and I'm not part of the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I say I'm British. It's what it says on my passport after all.

I'm not English as far as I'm concerned - I wasn't even born in England.
    Yeah, mine too. I sort of consider myself English, cause I was born in England, but for me, regional pride ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Lol I agree, I keep hearing about "the north of the country" on say the national news(yes the NATIONAL news not the English) then talking about Gateshead or Newcastle or something.

Thats why now when I hear the news and they say the north of the country its not till they say where that I know what they are talking about.

Anyway thinking back when I applied for uni and it asked nationality and I put in Scottish the woman in the welfare office asked me why I put that down and I had to change it to British!
    yeh when we talk about the north in scotland it is like aberdeen or inverness and northwards, to the people on the national news it must seem like the arctic!

scottish is a nationality though! and it is the nationality we all had to put down on SAAS so we got our fees paid for us. where was it that had a problem with scottish?

ReputationRep:
    I say I'm Scottish

Axx

ReputationRep:
    Welsh, European! Just cut the whole british level out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    It seems like most English people say the are British, but the Scots say they are Scottish, the Welsh say Welsh and Irish say Irish.
    I say I'm English, I'm not from four counties at once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invictus_88)
    I say British, and I'm not part of the United Kingdom.
    You're in a British Crown Dependency.

ReputationRep:
    English, unless it's on a form where it might confuse things.
    (Original post by georgia)
    Yes because you have to have a strong accent to be a certain nationality, really now? I then have to launch into my life history to explain why I sound English with an American/Aussie tilt.
    I told one of my mates that my mum was born in Singapore (my grandfather was in the RAF at the time) and he was quite surprised, as I don't look oriental at all.. then he realised how stupid that made him look!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anybody that says British, just English

ReputationRep:
    I say as a rule I am British simply because I rarely hear the term 'English' used any more. However when I go to Spain I am referred to as 'la inglesa'...the English girl! Never would you say in Spanish (from my experience) 'la britanica' - the British girl. I also see my roots as lieing in England, as I was born there. And apparently I have a very English accent...someone refused to believe I was from Suffolk the other day when they asked me!

I have never referred to myself as British, always English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    You're in a British Crown Dependency.
    Indeed so! Well, I 'belong to' one. I'm studying in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm English

I am British. I have always said British, just sounds more pleasing than English.

ReputationRep:
    WELSH!

Welsh, Welsh, Welsh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.