The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you class yourself as British or by your actual country (English, Scottish etc?)

Scroll to see replies

English, and I correct people who call me british.

Screw getting dumped in the same boat with the welsh.
I'm English, I live in England, was born in England, have an English accent and an English surname. I have no links with N. Ireland, I've been to Wales on holiday and my great great great maternal Grandad is the only link with Scotland I have.
British?

I'm Northern!
Reply 43
I'm Canadian :smile:

and also English, not British.
English.

But to piss off Scottish people ill happily say about how proud i am that a british person won at something, like murry today, woo british person!. Wooo lewis hamilton, good day to be english last week!
Reply 45
I say I'm British, my parents are both Scottish as is my entire family, it just so happened that I was born in England. Also, when it comes to sport and stuff, I don't support England.
Usually, Cornish. Sometimes then Southern. Then English. Then British. Then European. Then from Jupiter/Pluto.
Most people guess from my accent so I dont need to introduce my nationality... but when people ask me my nationality I say Scottish because in the past I've said British and had people go - so, you're from england?
I'm English..

(and if you want to get technical, a quarter Irish..)
Reply 49
both, just like everyone else does who lives in a federal state (which post-devolution and with the advent of further devolution we effectively are) that consists of different 'national identities' does, e.g Spain, Russia etc. This proves that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive (even if those countries don't manage it as harmoniously as the British should aspire too)
Reply 50
jesus-ninja
Most people I know say they are British and they are from Northern Ireland. I would say i'm Northern Irish.

Catholics say: Irish
Protestants: British

I tend to call myself Northern Irish like yourself, but I object to having the Union Jack as the flag beside my name so I went for the Tri-colour.
Untitled258
English.

But to piss off Scottish people ill happily say about how proud i am that a british person won at something, like murry today, woo british person!. Wooo lewis hamilton, good day to be english last week!

Haha. Definitely the English way to go. :biggrin:
Reply 52
I'm Scottish.

Just get angry when people ask if I'm English lol. And I dont like being called british coz i feel Scotland has so much history and culture that isn't included in British history and culture.
Reply 53
I'm British and proud of that, but first and foremost, I class myself as English.
100& english
Rehehelly
English, and I correct people who call me british.

Screw getting dumped in the same boat with the welsh.

LOL....much like Anne Robinson
Reply 56
FTC199
scottish is a nationality though! and it is the nationality we all had to put down on SAAS so we got our fees paid for us. where was it that had a problem with scottish?

I don't think "Scottish" really is a nationality. As for your SAAS forms, they asked you if you had been domiciled in Scotland, not if you were Scottish - since that's more or less meaningless.

Anyway, in terms of nationality, I'm British, not Scottish. I do however have Scottish elements to my identity.
It seems a lot of people have bought into nation-state identity crap.
Reply 58
Geog_Magz
i feel Scotland has so much history and culture that isn't included in British history and culture.

Yeah, that's just nonsense.
Reply 59
L i b
I don't think "Scottish" really is a nationality. As for your SAAS forms, they asked you if you had been domiciled in Scotland, not if you were Scottish - since that's more or less meaningless.

Anyway, in terms of nationality, I'm British, not Scottish. I do however have Scottish elements to my identity.

Scottish is a nationality as Scotland is a nation.

I'm scottish yet have english elements to my identity but i dont count them :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending