The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you class yourself as British or by your actual country (English, Scottish etc?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
am not british am scottish :smile:
Reply 61
L i b
Yeah, that's just nonsense.

Whens the last time you went to a British Ceilidh?
Reply 62
*Shrugs* English
Reply 63
mcg-innit
am not british am scottish :smile:

you should be glad to be British, your whole banking systems would have collapsed if not for intervention of the British government.
Geog_Magz

I know the question didn't apply to me but I was at a Ceilidh in Leeds a couple of months ago. Plus I'm pretty certain that Ceilidh's are part of Northumbrian culture too.
Reply 65
lolimemma
I know the question didn't apply to me but I was at a Ceilidh in Leeds a couple of months ago. Plus I'm pretty certain that Ceilidh's are part of Northumbrian culture too.

Good point. Picked a bad example. The point I'm making is not all scottish culture is generally included in British Culture. Its more special, in my opinion, to be Scottish where you can stay true to the traditions of your area not just everywhere.
Scottish. I don't mind being called British but I hate it when people assume you're English!
Reply 67
English.
Reply 68
FTC199
yeh that's roughly it - i am scottish so i say that as i am proud of it and if i was english i might refer to myself as english or british.

although it does annoy me when people say they are british and think newcastle is "the north" and scotland is separate geographically - scotland is more north in britain!

Sweaty Jock. :smile:
Geog_Magz

:rofl: Scottish Ceilidh= British Ceilidh so, yeah :yep:
Scottish through and through.
Reply 71
FTC199
Scottish is a nationality as Scotland is a nation.

I generally dispute that the term even has any real meaning. People are quick to make the division between nations and states, but ultimately the 'nation' category is just for people who have a slightly different culture and are a bit arrogant about it.

Geog_Magz

I can't say I've ever gone to a "Scottish Ceilidh" either, just a normal one. However take, for example, the bagpipes, tartan and so forth - they have become British icons rather than just Scottish ones, particularly in the Armed Forces. Equally on the history point, there are very few parts of British history that can be said to be exclusively English or Scottish - indeed, this sort of thinking is largely being dispelled, for example in the fallacious idea of the English Civil War, or the silly impression some people have that the Battle of Culloden was an English v. Scottish affair.
Reply 72
i'm human.
Geog_Magz
Good point. Picked a bad example. The point I'm making is not all scottish culture is generally included in British Culture. Its more special, in my opinion, to be Scottish where you can stay true to the traditions of your area not just everywhere.

:lolwut:

But scotland is part of Britain so therefore Scottish culture is part of British culture. You aren't making sense.
Danules
i'm human.

As are we all.

Now, about your nationality?
I tend to associate British with English. Even if you look at the "national" news etc its pretty much English news. e.g. its all GCSEs and no Standard Grades they talk about and other kind of stuff. It's not that I have anything against the English but I would definitely always refer to myself as Scottish and am proud of coming from Scotland.
L i b
I generally dispute that the term even has any real meaning. People are quick to make the division between nations and states, but ultimately the 'nation' category is just for people who have a slightly different culture and are a bit arrogant about it.

People don't see how it's a kind of self-fulfilling ideal, that a 'nation' needs its own unique state. If anything it just distorts regional identities to fit the (necessarily manufactured, to some extent) 'national identity' anyway. It all seems very contrived to me.
Reply 77
chappy
Sweaty Jock. :smile:

??? just ever so slightly confused over that 1
Geog_Magz

Tbh, what annoys me, is when Scottish people think their culture and past is more special when, in reality, the difference between Scottish and British culture is tiny.
Reply 79
Tinkerbee
:lolwut:

But scotland is part of Britain so therefore Scottish culture is part of British culture. You aren't making sense.

See if a tourist comes to Britain and goes to London and asks about British culture are they told about anything north of the border? Why is it that many Americans see Britain as The Queen, Buckingham Palace, Wimbledon and Scotland as Edinburgh Castle, Kilts and Bagpipes. Surely if we were all British Kilts would be called a British National dress.

The point I'm making that British is Sunday Roast and Potatos.. Haggis is Scottish.

The day people say Haggis is one of Britains national dishes is when Ill call myself a brit. Until then Im more than happy being Scottish where I can celebrate my culture and not the culture of areas I have never lived in.

Latest

Trending

Trending