The Student Room Group

A level chem

what should you rinse the pipette out with in titrations?
its alkali right

but what would happen if it was water?
Original post by anonmy179
its alkali right

Depends what you are using the pipette for. Normally the alkali is the solution you have made and the acid is what you’re titrating. Is the pipette being used to transfer the alkali to a beaker/conical flask or is it being used to transfer the acid to the burette?
its alkali right

As said, depends what you're using it for. But if you used water, whatever solution the pipette is used for will become more dilute so your results will be thrown off
Reply 3
Original post by RandomE
Depends what you are using the pipette for. Normally the alkali is the solution you have made and the acid is what you’re titrating. Is the pipette being used to transfer the alkali to a beaker/conical flask or is it being used to transfer the acid to the burette?

i was just revising titrations as i missed out on them and im confused with the whole rinsing thing because i kept getting different answers online
but thankyou!
i was just revising titrations as i missed out on them and im confused with the whole rinsing thing because i kept getting different answers online
but thankyou!

When you’re making your solution you are supposed to rinse the equipment you’ve used into the volumetric flask before you make it up to 250cm^3 (normally it’s 250). So that there is no residue of the original solid left behind/ so as much mass as was weighed out is used. Maybe that’s what they want from rinsing?

Quick Reply

Latest