Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hair falling out! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed recently that my desk is covered in my hair, I didn't think anything of it until today I was just twiddling my hair whilst doing some work and noticed it literally just falls out. If I gently(and I mean gently) tug at a patch of hair then I get about 5 or so falling out! I'm sure this isn't normal - any idea what's happening to me/

ReputationRep:
    I loose hair alot too, is your hair long?
    If you're really worried then go to a doctor or something.

ReputationRep:
    Could be that you're just moulting. Do you have thick hair? I do, and I find that once every so often (maybe once a year?) I seem to lose a lot of hair. Not bald patches or anything, just a bit more hair than usual.
    Or possibly, are you stressed? I know that that is also often a cause for hair falling out.
    Or bad diet?

Anything ringing a bell?

ReputationRep:
    My hair's falling out a lot, too, especially right after washing it. Is it my shampoo?

My hair has been falling out loads for years, but it never seems to decrease in volume, so it's not necessarilly a problem.

It could possibly be alopecia, which is a condition where more hair is lost than normal, which can result in baldness. I think hormonal changes can cause hair to fall out too, my boss had this after she had a baby. There is also trichotillomania, where a person pulls out there hair, sometimes not realising it, although it doesn't sound like you'd have that.

ReputationRep:
    Us humans tend to shed around 100 hairs a day.

Maybe you're just noticing it sat at your desk - are you more active normally? Is there a chance you've just not noticed it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barny)
    I've noticed recently that my desk is covered in my hair, I didn't think anything of it until today I was just twiddling my hair whilst doing some work and noticed it literally just falls out. If I gently(and I mean gently) tug at a patch of hair then I get about 5 or so falling out! I'm sure this isn't normal - any idea what's happening to me/
    HORMONES.

ReputationRep:
    my hair falls out alot, but i dont know if its stress. i dnt get stressed!
    i afraid its heredity, because my dad is bold, so im scared that i might become bold one day!
    :'(

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.