Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed recently that my desk is covered in my hair, I didn't think anything of it until today I was just twiddling my hair whilst doing some work and noticed it literally just falls out. If I gently(and I mean gently) tug at a patch of hair then I get about 5 or so falling out! I'm sure this isn't normal - any idea what's happening to me/

ReputationRep:
    I loose hair alot too, is your hair long?
    If you're really worried then go to a doctor or something.

ReputationRep:
    Could be that you're just moulting. Do you have thick hair? I do, and I find that once every so often (maybe once a year?) I seem to lose a lot of hair. Not bald patches or anything, just a bit more hair than usual.
    Or possibly, are you stressed? I know that that is also often a cause for hair falling out.
    Or bad diet?

Anything ringing a bell?

ReputationRep:
    My hair's falling out a lot, too, especially right after washing it. Is it my shampoo?

My hair has been falling out loads for years, but it never seems to decrease in volume, so it's not necessarilly a problem.

It could possibly be alopecia, which is a condition where more hair is lost than normal, which can result in baldness. I think hormonal changes can cause hair to fall out too, my boss had this after she had a baby. There is also trichotillomania, where a person pulls out there hair, sometimes not realising it, although it doesn't sound like you'd have that.

ReputationRep:
    Us humans tend to shed around 100 hairs a day.

Maybe you're just noticing it sat at your desk - are you more active normally? Is there a chance you've just not noticed it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barny)
    I've noticed recently that my desk is covered in my hair, I didn't think anything of it until today I was just twiddling my hair whilst doing some work and noticed it literally just falls out. If I gently(and I mean gently) tug at a patch of hair then I get about 5 or so falling out! I'm sure this isn't normal - any idea what's happening to me/
    HORMONES.

ReputationRep:
    my hair falls out alot, but i dont know if its stress. i dnt get stressed!
    i afraid its heredity, because my dad is bold, so im scared that i might become bold one day!
    :'(

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.