A-level options- help!

Watch this thread
ella1507
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going into year 12 in September and I am taking English Literature, Spanish and either biology or history (I wanted to take both with English lit but the blocks don't work that way unfortunately). I have chosen history based on logistics (this is easily changeable) - but I'm still not fully convinced that it is the right option- please offer any advice (history is Edexcel option G and biology is Edexcel option B). I am yet to decide between doing an English literature degree or a law degree.
Biology:
Advantages: Offers variation, I enjoy triple biology content a lot, provides me with a varied set of A-levels giving me more options.
Disadvantages: I consistently get grade 8s in biology and grade 9s in history, would be more challenging, highly unlikely to utilise it in the future
History:
Advantages: More secure grade, compliments my other subjects, coursework element which I like, less challenging than biology (for me)
Disadvantages: I haven't been as interested in some of the political topics at GCSE and the A-level syllabus is very politics heavy, lack of variation.
Apologies, this is very long! Any thoughts would be appreciated, I love both subjects so it's a very tough decision.
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ella1507)
I'm going into year 12 in September and I am taking English Literature, Spanish and either biology or history (I wanted to take both with English lit but the blocks don't work that way unfortunately). I have chosen history based on logistics (this is easily changeable) - but I'm still not fully convinced that it is the right option- please offer any advice (history is Edexcel option G and biology is Edexcel option B). I am yet to decide between doing an English literature degree or a law degree.
Biology:
Advantages: Offers variation, I enjoy triple biology content a lot, provides me with a varied set of A-levels giving me more options.
Disadvantages: I consistently get grade 8s in biology and grade 9s in history, would be more challenging, highly unlikely to utilise it in the future
History:
Advantages: More secure grade, compliments my other subjects, coursework element which I like, less challenging than biology (for me)
Disadvantages: I haven't been as interested in some of the political topics at GCSE and the A-level syllabus is very politics heavy, lack of variation.
Apologies, this is very long! Any thoughts would be appreciated, I love both subjects so it's a very tough decision.
I think history because biology alone is not really going to meet entry requirements for STEM degrees. What type of history do you like by the way since you said GCSE history was politics heavy?
ella1507
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Luwei)
I think history because biology alone is not really going to meet entry requirements for STEM degrees. What type of history do you like by the way since you said GCSE history was politics heavy?
My GCSE course consisted of Medicine through time, Cold war and superpower relations and Weimar and Nazi Germany (Medieval England was removed due to Covid). I found myself not enjoying the Cold War topic as much because it was so heavily focussed on governments, summits and conferences whereas whilst the Weimar and Nazi topic was obviously political, there was a lot more variation and focus on lifestyles which I loved. However, I did Cold War as a breadth study whilst Weimar and Nazi was a depth study so that's likely why there was more variety in the topic. I don't want to do a STEM degree, but the degrees I am interested in already have the requirements met through my other 2 A-levels so this is essentially a free space (however I agree that history makes more sense as I'd use it more)
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Read this - How to Choose your 6th Form Subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
business.gal
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hiya! So with a levels it’s important to remember they are key to your next step. If you’re even babying considering uni, think about what course you might be interested in, then have a research into a couple of universities of different gradings to see what their entry requirements are. Many people choose A levels at random or by preference without consideration of this then find themselves unable to apply for a course because they have limited their options. One thing worth considering in particular is that many ask for a humanities subject which history would qualify as, however if you would like to go into anything medical or animal, you would need the biology! Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to help with!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (13)
31.71%
Take a gap year (10)
24.39%
Resit my exams (7)
17.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (5)
12.2%
I don't know yet (3)
7.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
7.32%

Watched Threads