I need help/confused

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am at the end of my first year in university and it's not been that good, I have been thinking of changing since Jan but I thought it would get better but it didn't. I have friends but we are not close and because I commute it's been hard and I don't love my course, sometimes it's ok/good and sometimes I can't stand it. Now I want to move out and change and I kind of know what I want to do in the future but I don't have the grades for that degree so I was thinking of doing a masters in it and for now I am thinking of applying to another degree and honestly, it's all a mess. What do I do? also I am 21 and took a 2yr gap and the age gap is another thing scary, I don't want to fall behind in life.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps find a job. Good luck.
ran-dumb
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Yeah my first year sucked too, I applied to transfer to another uni. I'd say just forget about any age gap, I'm 21 now too and lots of people took gap years recently so you won't be the only one.

Ask yourself what you want to do or think you will in 5 years. You say you don't like the course much, is it a specific module thing or are you not sure about the subject in general? There's not much point forcing yourself through 2 more years of a degree that won't get you into a career you want and as you said your grades will suffer. Maybe look at what else you could do and see if you'd rather switch to that, or yeah drop out and find a job if you decide uni isn't for you.

If friends is the issue, do you think applying to one where you don't have to commute will help? Its probably both that and the course but perhaps bear that in mind if you're reapplying.
DarylO
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am at the end of my first year in university and it's not been that good, I have been thinking of changing since Jan but I thought it would get better but it didn't. I have friends but we are not close and because I commute it's been hard and I don't love my course, sometimes it's ok/good and sometimes I can't stand it. Now I want to move out and change and I kind of know what I want to do in the future but I don't have the grades for that degree so I was thinking of doing a masters in it and for now I am thinking of applying to another degree and honestly, it's all a mess. What do I do? also I am 21 and took a 2yr gap and the age gap is another thing scary, I don't want to fall behind in life.
Hi. If you hate the course, don't waste time by delaying the inevitable. You can drop out of it once first year is done, do a one year access to HE course if you don't want to retake A Levels; then, apply for the course you really want. You might even be able to get 2nd year entry as a mature student who has already studied a year in uni if the first year modules are similar. They tend to consider mature students on an individual basis. You might even be able to start the degree you really want with an integrated foundation year if you don't want to do Access to HE. Just contact the schools you want to go to and they'll let you know which route is possible.

You're not going to fall behind as long as you keep working towards your goals. I stopped schooling for 3 years, wasted another 2 trying to figure out what to do with my life. That's 5 years gone. Does that mean I'm falling behind? No. I'm still on track to achieving my goals. It's not about when or how you start. It's about how you finish. Keep working towards that finish line.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ran-dumb)
Yeah my first year sucked too, I applied to transfer to another uni. I'd say just forget about any age gap, I'm 21 now too and lots of people took gap years recently so you won't be the only one.

Ask yourself what you want to do or think you will in 5 years. You say you don't like the course much, is it a specific module thing or are you not sure about the subject in general? There's not much point forcing yourself through 2 more years of a degree that won't get you into a career you want and as you said your grades will suffer. Maybe look at what else you could do and see if you'd rather switch to that, or yeah drop out and find a job if you decide uni isn't for you.

If friends is the issue, do you think applying to one where you don't have to commute will help? Its probably both that and the course but perhaps bear that in mind if you're reapplying.
(Original post by DarylO)
Hi. If you hate the course, don't waste time by delaying the inevitable. You can drop out of it once first year is done, do a one year access to HE course if you don't want to retake A Levels; then, apply for the course you really want. You might even be able to get 2nd year entry as a mature student who has already studied a year in uni if the first year modules are similar. They tend to consider mature students on an individual basis. You might even be able to start the degree you really want with an integrated foundation year if you don't want to do Access to HE. Just contact the schools you want to go to and they'll let you know which route is possible.

You're not going to fall behind as long as you keep working towards your goals. I stopped schooling for 3 years, wasted another 2 trying to figure out what to do with my life. That's 5 years gone. Does that mean I'm falling behind? No. I'm still on track to achieving my goals. It's not about when or how you start. It's about how you finish. Keep working towards that finish line.
thank you for the reply. It's the course, uni and a combination of a lot of things. I want to do computer science, I started coding this year and have been really enjoying it and when I looked at the entry requirement they all require a level of maths and I don't have that so what do I do. I know there are foundation years that I could do but it's all too scary starting all over again especially when people/friends are graduating this year. I have looked at an MSc conversion course and though of doing that after completing my degree but It's just becoming too difficult to just continue on.
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you for the reply. It's the course, uni and a combination of a lot of things. I want to do computer science, I started coding this year and have been really enjoying it and when I looked at the entry requirement they all require a level of maths and I don't have that so what do I do. I know there are foundation years that I could do but it's all too scary starting all over again especially when people/friends are graduating this year. I have looked at an MSc conversion course and though of doing that after completing my degree but It's just becoming too difficult to just continue on.
I think you should ask yourself questions like how committed are you to computer science or how much you hate your current course. If you're determined to switch you could look at clearing (not sure if they're still open now), factoring in how the location made things hard so you either want a nearby uni or live on campus etc. If there aren't any spaces for this September then rather than starting foundation next year you might want to consider doing a level maths this year and apply for the degree, things like that.

You have a 30+ year career ahead after you graduate, a couple years make no difference really and much better than forcing yourself into something you don't want to do. At least corona won't wreak havoc on your course like everyone else last year!
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You need to stop looking at what your friends are doing or where they are. Please. Focusing so much on where others are will never get you anything in life. Your race to success is an individual battle. Some of my mates have graduated. I haven't even started uni. It's not the end of the world.

I understand how scary starting over is. I had to do it four times. But they say you miss all of the shots you don't take. It's best to be honest with yourself. You've found what you really want to do. Go for it. Please. I know so many people that were too scared to start over and ended up having to do that in their late twenties and early thirties. Would you rather start over now or when you're 28 or 33?
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think the integrated foundation year would be best for you so that you're still in a university environment. That way, you won't feel so left out and it counts towards your degree. It'll be considered year 0.

You mentioned computer science and I'm wondering which aspect you're interested in. If it's just programming, nowadays, people don't bother doing computer science for it. That's like a pilot learning how to put a plane together. Rather, they go for apprenticeships or bootcamps which you can get into without A Level Maths. A lot of these bootcamps ensure jobs upon completion of the course. If it's more than just programming, a computer science degree would indeed be better.

Whichever aspect you wish to focus on, you need to start looking at various options to choose which route suits you better.
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You need to stop looking at what your friends are doing or where they are. Please. Focusing so much on where others are will never get you anything in life. Your race to success is an individual battle. Some of my mates have graduated. I haven't even started uni. It's not the end of the world.

I understand how scary starting over is. I had to do it four times. But they say you miss all of the shots you don't take. It's best to be honest with yourself. You've found what you really want to do. Go for it. Please. I know so many people that were too scared to start over and ended up having to do that in their late twenties and early thirties. Would you rather start over now or when you're 28 or 33?
Yeah definitely don't be put off by starting over, I dropped out here and there, and almost wanted to a third time this year at uni. Just weigh everything up and decide what's best for you
EdgeHillStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello! anonymous

I would defiantly seek help and advice from your personal tutor/ progress coach at university as they will be able to discuss your options and help you find the path that is right for you. I defiantly think you've made the right choice by not rushing into anything when making your decision, I would recommend taking your time and do some personal reflection on what you want. It's great that you have some idea of what you would like to do in the future, and like I said I would recommend discussing this with your progress coach in order to make a plan of how you will get there There are lots of different ways to get to the same career destination so even though you mentioned you don't have the grades needed for your desired degree, it may be that you are able to do equivalency courses, a foundation course or some other route to get there. I completely get that you are feeling a little left behind but you have your whole life in a career there is no need to make fast decisions just take your time and be kind to yourself - you are still so young and you are doing great!

I hope this is helpful!

Katie - First Year Educational Psychology Student
Anonymous #1

I think the integrated foundation year would be best for you so that you're still in a university environment. That way, you won't feel so left out and it counts towards your degree. It'll be considered year 0.

You mentioned computer science and I'm wondering which aspect you're interested in. If it's just programming, nowadays, people don't bother doing computer science for it. That's like a pilot learning how to put a plane together. Rather, they go for apprenticeships or bootcamps which you can get into without A Level Maths. A lot of these bootcamps ensure jobs upon completion of the course. If it's more than just programming, a computer science degree would indeed be better.

Whichever aspect you wish to focus on, you need to start looking at various options to choose which route suits you better.
(Original post by ran-dumb)
Yeah definitely don't be put off by starting over, I dropped out here and there, and almost wanted to a third time this year at uni. Just weigh everything up and decide what's best for you
(Original post by EdgeHillStudents)
Hello! anonymous

I would defiantly seek help and advice from your personal tutor/ progress coach at university as they will be able to discuss your options and help you find the path that is right for you. I defiantly think you've made the right choice by not rushing into anything when making your decision, I would recommend taking your time and do some personal reflection on what you want. It's great that you have some idea of what you would like to do in the future, and like I said I would recommend discussing this with your progress coach in order to make a plan of how you will get there There are lots of different ways to get to the same career destination so even though you mentioned you don't have the grades needed for your desired degree, it may be that you are able to do equivalency courses, a foundation course or some other route to get there. I completely get that you are feeling a little left behind but you have your whole life in a career there is no need to make fast decisions just take your time and be kind to yourself - you are still so young and you are doing great!

I hope this is helpful!

Katie - First Year Educational Psychology Student
Thank you all. I think the main thing I have realized is that I need to have a discussion with myself, I think I know what I want but I am a bit scared to go through with it so I just need to push myself and go for it and not think too much. I think I need to speak to someone but my tutor is also my lecturer so I don't know if want her to know that I don't really like the degree cause what if I do to go 2nd yr, maybe student counselling, would that help. Also, I don't think I just want to do programming or something mixed with it. Again I really appreciate all the help, thank you.
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you all. I think the main thing I have realized is that I need to have a discussion with myself, I think I know what I want but I am a bit scared to go through with it so I just need to push myself and go for it and not think too much. I think I need to speak to someone but my tutor is also my lecturer so I don't know if want her to know that I don't really like the degree cause what if I do to go 2nd yr, maybe student counselling, would that help. Also, I don't think I just want to do programming or something mixed with it. Again I really appreciate all the help, thank you.
You're very welcome. If you're still undecided, I think one place you could find help outside school is nationalcareer.service.org.uk. They help people with career choices and the routes you can follow to achieve your educational and professional goals. Maybe give them a call and ask for a session with an adviser. They helped me find the course I really wanted to do after years of indecisiveness. I do think you should also seek a second opinion from your school's counsellors.

Whatever decision you end up making, I wish you the absolute best.
Anonymous #1
You're very welcome. If you're still undecided, I think one place you could find help outside school is nationalcareer.service.org.uk. They help people with career choices and the routes you can follow to achieve your educational and professional goals. Maybe give them a call and ask for a session with an adviser. They helped me find the course I really wanted to do after years of indecisiveness. I do think you should also seek a second opinion from your school's counsellors.

Whatever decision you end up making, I wish you the absolute best.
That sounds like a great idea, I will contact them. Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Telling your tutor that you’re unhappy and exploring other options won’t affect your ability to continue into second year.

if you do enrol onto second year of a degree then that WILL stop you from getting a tuition fee loan for year 1 of a new degree.

so if you’re unsure then suspending your studies for a year while you explore other options (or even better sit A level maths) would be the best option instead of struggling through.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello.

I think your key issue is that you dont have the student community since you commute. Your thread is very similar to many other threads on TSR, but the common theme is that those people, like you commute to uni. As a result, you probably feel left out of the system and you have channelled your frustration into your course. I reckon that you could face the same issues if you change course because you commute.

My suggestion is to think about living in uni accommodation next year whether you choose to start first year again or your progress to second year. Hopefully being around students esp if you go to a campus uni would help you to integrate with others.

Good luck
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

I definitely know how you feel, I felt the same my first time at uni: didn't like my course, didn't make firm friends, didn't enjoy the commute and didn't like the uni. I took a gap year and never regretted it, it was the best decision I could make since I was ready for the new chapter of my life and am thoroughly enjoying my new uni experience.

If you are really hating it this much, and it sounds like you yourself are a bit unsure of what you want, there's nothing wrong with taking time for yourself to figure it out. Your future self would be happy that you made a thought-out decision for what you want, rather than rushing into something you don't enjoy. And pay no mind to the age gap either, no one else cares and you're still around the age of the majority so it will be no real difference. You won't be falling behind in life, there's no such thing. Where you are in life is your position and there isn't a specific checkpoint you're expected to be at, it's about what suits you and when.

Best of luck with your decision, and as long as you think and then decide what you want to do, things will be just fine.

Jade
Official University of Southampton Rep
Anonymous #1
thank you, everyone, for the reply, I found one university that does computer science and they don't require a level maths and I have the grades for it so should I go for it, I am a bit scared cause the other university has higher requirement so I feel like I might be lacking somewhere but I don't know.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
thank you, everyone, for the reply, I found one university that does computer science and they don't require a level maths and I have the grades for it so should I go for it, I am a bit scared cause the other university has higher requirement so I feel like I might be lacking somewhere but I don't know.
Congratulations for taking this step, honestly I wish I had the guts to have done this earlier. Now I have graduated with a degree I could have done without and debt for a course that will never get me a job so you are truly making the right decision. I'm now applying for a conversion masters in computer science so please don't feel like your much older or you've wasted time, some of us are behind but in the 'right year', so realistically your in the best place for you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads