Everybody suffers from a mental illness

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would you agree with me that everybody suffers from mental illness to a limit, even if it doesnt have a great impact on your life.

Since mental illness is caused by stressful life situations, its your thoughts that derive you to a disorder, until you practically become a slave to it.

But if its the thoughts that are driving your actions and emotions, doesn't everybody suffer from a sort of mental illness
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Nah, I think you are blurring the line too much between stress and illness.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Would you agree with me that everybody suffers from mental illness to a limit, even if it doesnt have a great impact on your life.

Since mental illness is caused by stressful life situations, its your thoughts that derive you to a disorder, until you practically become a slave to it.

But if its the thoughts that are driving your actions and emotions, doesn't everybody suffer from a sort of mental illness
If everyone has “it”, is it an illness or is this just a characteristic of human psychology.
Wannabevetnurse
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Everyone has struggles, yes. This then leads to stress and the way people deal with the stress determines if they will struggle with a mental illness. If you struggle to deal with stress or keep all your feelings locked up, you can end up with a mental illness. Some things are also caused by trauma from a young age, where the person simply hasn’t got the communication skills to deal with it
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
even if it doesnt have a great impact on your life.
What defines a mental illness is the fact that it does have an impact in your life. So although everyone has mental health struggles, relatively few people have an actual mental illness.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
What defines a mental illness is the fact that it does have an impact in your life. So although everyone has mental health struggles, relatively few people have an actual mental illness.
I'm going to disagree with this... impact on life isn't really what defines mental health, though it may contribute to some.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I'm going to disagree with this... impact on life isn't really what defines mental health, though it may contribute to some.
It is in the diagnostic criteria for many conditions
gracieee16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
on google it says 13% of people suffer with mental health illnesses and substance use disorders. however, these people will have different levels of severe cases. some may have minor anxiety that occurs when they have a phobia of something or someone could actually have anxiety and be fearful of lots of things , along with throwing up and physical symptoms.
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Everyone has mental health, everyone doesn't have mental illness. It's quite insulting to those who do and are diagnosed to suggest otherwise.

Furthermore mental illness isn't always caused by environmental factors, chemical balances play a part as well.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 1 month ago
PonchoKid
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree with Cavy everyone has mental health as its simply the health of your brain. But not everyone has mental illness...
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think people talking about their mental health issues online has made it seem like most people/everyone has them. That's not the truth though
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, not everyone has a mental illness, please stop projecting your illness on everyone else.
avacadoe
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In psychology I think that something is only defined as a mental illness when it impacts your everyday life (or at least in terms of anxiety and depression). Everyone obviously gets anxious and depressed and anxiety can be evolutionary advantageous but if it impacts your life in a maladaptive way then I would call in mental illness.
Last edited by avacadoe; 1 month ago
Spelunker
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i think everyone can suffer with poor mental health obviously and not dealing with this poor mental health can lead to developing mental illness but this dosent happen in everyone. some people may develop it more easily than others and for some people it runs in the family. a mental illness is where someone is dealing with poor mental health for a prolonged period of time in unhealthy ways and need extra help to improve.
cc2k22
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

yeah i guess we could say so, seeing as so many mental disorders are spectrums, ASD, Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum etc

everyone suffers from them to some degree, but a few much more than others. I guess it’s all about where we draw the line
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
i disagree, as someone who has survived severe depression and is now mentally in the best place possible, i am not currently suffering from a mental illness. i have done, and recovered, but for me it didn’t linger and no longer affects my life the way it did before - so no, not everyone is suffering with one
vapordave
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no. everyone has mental health, but issues severe enough to be classified as a mental illness are not normal. i understand that when one is in that place those thoughts seem normal, but they are not something most people go through.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads