The Student Room Group

Scared

Do u ever get scared about just like getting kidnapped or smthng, my parents and grandparents r always warning me about what could happen when I’m alone and all the dangerous things and stuff and ik they’re making sure I’m aware to try and keep me safe but now I’m just scared. Like what am I gonna do if someone tries to take me or hurt me. The stats say I’m bound to be sa at some point and I’m just terrified, like how do ppl cope
Original post by Anonymous
Do u ever get scared about just like getting kidnapped or smthng, my parents and grandparents r always warning me about what could happen when I’m alone and all the dangerous things and stuff and ik they’re making sure I’m aware to try and keep me safe but now I’m just scared. Like what am I gonna do if someone tries to take me or hurt me. The stats say I’m bound to be sa at some point and I’m just terrified, like how do ppl cope

I feel like this a lot, literally every time I feel sketched out when I'm alone I literally pretend to call someone, when I walk to school I have to go down ab alleyway and someone was murdered like a month ago and every time I literally just run but then I get really anxious, or I will go the long way even if I'm late to school cause you never know. There's this place near my school where they do self defence, I take classes there its really helpful because if something does happen like if someone tries to kidnap me I sort of know what to do.
No. As a male who packs quite a bit of weight, I don’t really have that fear since it’s gonna take a quite a bit of effort from the kidnapper(s) to lift me up and carry me, especially without running the risk of being injured in the process.
Reply 3
This can be said about anything. You are a living being, and therefore threats are posed to your life.

It is natural to have some worry, but fixating on it can cause problems, and may be a sign of generalised anxiety.

There are some things you can do to feel safer, like keeping alarms on you when walking the streets, avoiding going out when it's dark, carrying a legal criminal identifier marker spray. You could even sign up to some self-defence classes and read some articles about safety in these sorts of situations.

Ultimately, it does nothing but harm to constantly worry about this sort of thing. If everyone did this, the streets would be empty and nobody would get anything done. That said, it never hurts to be educated and prepared in case.

If you ever feel like the worry of this is causing you significant anxiety that is impacting your daily life, by all means, know that you can reach out for support at any time through your doctor.
Thank u I talked to my mum and I’m starting a self defence class and ik my anxiety is magically gonna go away but I’m going to try and help myself out a bit
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thank u I talked to my mum and I’m starting a self defence class and ik my anxiety is magically gonna go away but I’m going to try and help myself out a bit

That sounds like a good step forward!

Quick Reply

Latest