Part time work feels impossible to find

Watch this thread
DTON
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Seriously, like I'm applying for loads and interviewing for a few but getting nothing come my way. I can't do front of house/customer service with my anxiety but I've been going after warehouse, factory and kitchen jobs for a while now and nothing.

Yet when I wanted full time work I was offered part time in a warehouse which I had to leave because I wasn't earning enough. It's almost like whatever you want or need, the opposite comes.

How long has it taken you to find part time work around your course?

Also places seem put off by the fact I'm studying again, even though it's OU and pretty flexible. As soon as I say I want part time because I'm doing a degree their faces seem to drop and they question commitment. Considering lying but the starter forms with student loans may get a bit messy haha.

Just a little rant
Glantheguy
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I struggled like this initially too, but once I started my first part time job - more doors were opened up to me. Although working at McDonald’s wasn’t particularly exciting.
nousernameplease
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Care homes are always short staffed so they are worth looking at, of course you need to be rather patient and willing to do some unpleasant work but there's opportunity to take on extra work as and when you want and its rewarding.
Perhaps you should reevaluate your CV and cover letters? Ultimately either your CV/cover letters or you in interviews aren't convincing recruiters that you are the best fit for their role, so you might want to see how you can improve those to improve your chances. Maybe your current skillset is more suited to those front of house roles? Obviously you do you, but the nerves that you have about those positions diminsh almost immediately after starting and all jobs involve some level of interaction, especially career-type jobs where you're aiming to gain more responsibility, so gaining those key customer service and communication skills in those roles can be hugely beneficial.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads