Worried about open days.

Watch this thread
bowlingforsoph
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Year 12 here.

We went to an open day as a school trip yesterday. I hadn’t planned on going to any open days because it’s not convenient for me to get to one, because it’s unlikely that the few people in my family who can drive would be available. My mum’s said that her friend has offered to take us to any open days, though I don’t know how often she’d be available.

I’m starting to panic now, because my friends are talking about going to open days and I just feel really embarrassed that I’m not going to any. Plus, even if I wanted to go to any, I feel like I’ve left it really late, so now I can’t, unless I want to cut it fine and go later in the year.

Idk what to do…
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
have you looked at other modes of transport like train or coach (though with the rail strikes it might be difficult) some uni's offer transport to there open days or re-embursment for travel. I know Essex do this but not sure which others so you may have to research more. i wouldn worry too much, i didnt go to any open days till my year 12 summer and was still going into year 13 this year. you dont have to be embarassed about it aswell, many universities now have great online open days thanks to covid which will give you a good idea of what the uni is like if you cant go.
ToGodly
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bowlingforsoph )
Year 12 here.

We went to an open day as a school trip yesterday. I hadn’t planned on going to any open days because it’s not convenient for me to get to one, because it’s unlikely that the few people in my family who can drive would be available. My mum’s said that her friend has offered to take us to any open days, though I don’t know how often she’d be available.

I’m starting to panic now, because my friends are talking about going to open days and I just feel really embarrassed that I’m not going to any. Plus, even if I wanted to go to any, I feel like I’ve left it really late, so now I can’t, unless I want to cut it fine and go later in the year.

Idk what to do…
I have applied 4 out of 5 universities in my ucas and I haven’t attended any open day. Matter of fact my firm choice uni - I have never seen in my life. So open days are good but I’m just doing virtual research and virtual days etc. so don’t stress yourself too much because it’s not like you missing a looooot
username5741914
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, online events can be useful. And lots of universities still have the presentations from previous events on YouTube. Trains, coaches etc are all part of university life for most, so now is a good time to embrace that.

You've still got time for open days - big question is; what do you want to get from an open day? Are you weighing specific courses against each other? Is it the Universities and their facilities that you are looking at? Do you want to meet and talk to the students there? Are you interested in the town/city and what life there would be like? Probably a combination of all of the above. But don't worry about what your friends are doing. Ask yourself what you want to know and plan a day that will provide you with the best possible chance of getting the answers you need. You may find that the University's planned open day skips over stuff that would be important to you. You may also find a lot of information online ahead of time. Don't panic, and good luck.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Dont worry too much. There are lots of good Campus Tour films on YouTube etc that will give you an idea of what the Unis look like, and if you are made an offer, there will be 'Offer Holder Visit Days' which are far more focussed on 'subject' than Open Days, and actually far more useful.

Some Unis offrer a bursary to help with travel costs for those with a low family income - https://www.universityfinder.org.uk/...avel-bursaries

What subject are you thinking of applying for?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If your friends are going to any universities you’re interested in ask if you can get a lift and come with them.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Year 12 here.

Idk what to do…
Most universities have open days in September or October. Check here. You have time now to apply

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=48e1e...MuY29tLw&ntb=1
EmilyClarke24
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Year 12 here.

Idk what to do…
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student at the uni of Nottingham.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can't attend any and maybe it is best to make a list of priorities and search on the universities websites and YouTube to see if the uni would fit with what you want to get out of it. For example would you prefer to be on a campus where everything is close together or do you prefer being in the city.

There are also opportunities to visit the unis at offer holder days where you will get a bit more of an in depth experience about your course as well as the uni as a whole and I would say that these are more beneficial than open days so if you can make anything via any means of transport I would wait for them.

If you have any questions just let me know,
Emily
Nottingham Trent University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Year 12 here.

Idk what to do…
Hi bowlingforsoph

Just wanted to say that it's okay if you're not able to attend many open days! UCAS applications open on September 6 2022 and don't close until 6 pm on 25 January 2023. Universities tend to run several open days during that period, so there are plenty of opportunities to attend some later in the year.

However, if you're not able to attend any – don't worry 👍 we understand that many students might not be able to visit in-person. Like a few others have mentioned, there's a wide range of alternative sources of info like virtual tours, live chats and YouTube where you can find out more about a university at your own pace. There are also opportunities to visit once you've received your offers too. For example, NTU run a series of offer holder days after January for students who receive an offer from us.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, let me know 😀

Gurpreet - NTU Rep
Last edited by Nottingham Trent University; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads