accomodation nightmare

Watch this thread
anon2453
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm an undergraduate trying to sign up for accomodation to first year.
when signing up I was given the option to pick 5 choices and order them for my preference.
when I got my offer back they had given me the last choice, which was slightly out of my price range for student loan and has been known to be scruffy and have water shut off regularly and so on. this came as quite a shock since I applied early and the website says that they will try give you your first choice, then second if not available and so on also the offer was valid for 5 days?
so I emailed the email for accomodation and was told I could let the offer expire and redo my application. Now I'm being told that I cannot redo my application and therefore have to apply to private halls.
After so much misinformation and carry on with applying to halls I'm debating just going through clearing.
Can anyone give me any advice what to do?
Sav055
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anon2453)
I'm an undergraduate trying to sign up for accomodation to first year.
when signing up I was given the option to pick 5 choices and order them for my preference.
when I got my offer back they had given me the last choice, which was slightly out of my price range for student loan and has been known to be scruffy and have water shut off regularly and so on. this came as quite a shock since I applied early and the website says that they will try give you your first choice, then second if not available and so on also the offer was valid for 5 days?
so I emailed the email for accomodation and was told I could let the offer expire and redo my application. Now I'm being told that I cannot redo my application and therefore have to apply to private halls.
After so much misinformation and carry on with applying to halls I'm debating just going through clearing.
Can anyone give me any advice what to do?
Try to find out if the university you wish to go to will offer dorm swapping. My firm choice (Loughborough) have a system where the first week is dedicated to swapping rooms with people as people will have the same problem as you (dorm too small; too pricey; can afford more; wrong location and so on). You'll also find that not everyone will meet their offer so there may be a choice to swap.

If they don't have anything like that, you could have a look at accommodation that your insurance choice provides? If you are lucky, your firm choice may release you into your insurance choice on exam results day if you really don't want to go there. Before making any rash decisions, remember you still have a month and a half before results day. Take your time, look at some private hall (they aren't all bad and sometimes cheaper), before making your decision

That's my advice anyway but someone who was in a similar position might be more help to you.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Your accommodation choices are likely to be even more restricted during clearing.

If you are still keen on that uni and course I would speak to the accommodation team and ask about the likelihood of transferring to another option during term 1. Your only issue there will be the terms of any private accommodation that you agree to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads