Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7719633.stm

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    One might also say the same (although clearly not to the same extent) about Che Guevara. I have read articles saying that Castro disapproved of some of the brutality dished out by Guevara. One thing is true about all these men, Guevara, Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc - they are all (for better or worse, mainly worse) iconic and were giants in their time in history.
    Come crawling back, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Come crawling back, eh?
    OI! You'll scare him away! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, intellectual liberals tend towards romanticising and excusing Stalin, especially in the '30s. The regime was never 'defeated' fully - no Nuremburg trials, no accountability for crimes - it just simply petered out. Stalin 'won' the war and seen as patriotic leader by natives, and excellent war commander by foreigners.

Communism is simply more readily accepted in society, even though its killed many more people than Nazism, because people can argue until the cows come home about interpretations and contexts, while Nazi=Hitler=evil.

ReputationRep:
    Stalin was democratically elected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    OI! You'll scare him away! :p:
    :giggle:

I heard he went on a quest of self-realisation and has now returned..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Also referred to as hitting puberty.

S'that right, Woolworths? Or maybe a few more years?

ReputationRep:
    because hiter and nazis have become synonymous with evil, the way he's been portrayed... also he's better-known; everyone knows who he was, but i doubt the general public know exactly what stalin et al. did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    One might also say the same (although clearly not to the same extent) about Che Guevara. I have read articles saying that Castro disapproved of some of the brutality dished out by Guevara. One thing is true about all these men, Guevara, Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc - they are all (for better or worse, mainly worse) iconic and were giants in their time in history.
    You're back! :dancing: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    :giggle:

I heard he went on a quest of self-realisation and has now returned..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Also referred to as hitting puberty.

S'that right, Woolworths? Or maybe a few more years?

:rofl:

Though he seems to have realised that the G6 doesn't exist....wonder if he knows yet that KCL don't do Economics :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporary_username)
    So was Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I agree that people are far too uncritical of regimes like the USSR. Brushing the gulags, deportation of ethnic groups, and the Ukrainian famine under the carpet is just as bad as denying the existance of Auschwitz, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    :rofl:

Though he seems to have realised that the G6 doesn't exist....wonder if he knows yet that KCL don't do Economics :unsure:
    Or has perhaps spent his away-time completing a degree, obtainining the admirable classification of 2.3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisti_kate)
    Yep, intellectual liberals tend towards romanticising and excusing Stalin, especially in the '30s. The regime was never 'defeated' fully - no Nuremburg trials, no accountability for crimes - it just simply petered out. Stalin 'won' the war and seen as patriotic leader by natives, and excellent war commander by foreigners.

Communism is simply more readily accepted in society, even though its killed many more people than Nazism, because people can argue until the cows come home about interpretations and contexts, while Nazi=Hitler=evil.
    What she said!

Weird isn't it! Stalin sent millions of people to die in the gulags in the freezing Siberian winters in appalling conditions for years yet this is seen as better as being systematically killed by the Nazi's fairly quickly in appalling conditions.

Both are atrocities, but umm...I know which I would prefer!

Stalin is in interesting character mind, certainly someone to study in depth, i think.

ReputationRep:
    Stalin had a proper mandate, I don't know why people don't accept that. If they were unhappy with his policies they would have just voted him out

ReputationRep:
    Stalin had a proper mandate, I don't know why people don't accept that. If they were unhappy with his policies they would have just voted him out
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    So did Hitler.

To a greater extent, arguably. And Hitler was more successful at implementing his policies IMO.

Bit hard to vote someone out like Stalin tho, when he sent all the people that disagreed with him to the Gulags whether proven or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    You're funny.

ReputationRep:
    You're kidding, right? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    Stop using the term Gulag in a negative light. Gulag's were given 5 stars for conditions by Amnesty International

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually read any Russian/Soviet history?! One could argue that maybe, and only maybe, Lenin had some sort of mandate from the people (ignoring the fact that the Whites, Liberals, moderates, Mensheviks etc outnumbered support for Lenin) but Stalin manouvered and manipulated his way into power after Lenin died and you certainly could not vote him out. Mutter even a word against the man and you would never be seen again.

No fair, free or secret ballots even when there were elections for lower officials who had already been decided by Stalin and co.

Read "The People's Tragedy" or "The Whisperers" and then come back here.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.