Studying English at Cambridge

Watch this thread
danimototo
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
To anyone who studies English at Cambridge, what A levels did you take and do you have any advice for a prospective applicant?
I plan on applying this coming summer maybe, (I'm finishing year 12 now).
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
There are only 4 applicants per place for BA English and the chances of admission are high as there are not as many applicants as Medicine or Economics or Maths or even Natural Sciences. lol

Reading Shakespeare plays should help your UCAS personal statement, since it is being studied in PART IA of the English Tripos at Cambridge University.

Also, consider Bristol, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Manchester and others too.
danimototo
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
There are only 4 applicants per place for BA English and the chances of admission are high as there are not as many applicants as Medicine or Economics or Maths or even Natural Sciences. lol

Reading Shakespeare plays should help your UCAS personal statement, since it is being studied in PART IA of the English Tripos at Cambridge University.

Also, consider Bristol, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Manchester and others too.
When you were applying, how did you prepare for the ELAT? Also, out of curiosity, what provoked you to study English? Was it always destined? Insatiable reading? As other applicants have mentioned. I'm just asking because I feel like my whole life has not led up to the course, and I'm more inclined to write than read. I love writing, especially journalistic articles, reviews, and comedies etc., but I'd be lying if I said that I am an avid reader who reads every day. Does this in any way make me an unfit applicant?
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danimototo)
When you were applying, how did you prepare for the ELAT? Also, out of curiosity, what provoked you to study English? Was it always destined? Insatiable reading? As other applicants have mentioned. I'm just asking because I feel like my whole life has not led up to the course, and I'm more inclined to write than read. I love writing, especially journalistic articles, reviews, and comedies etc., but I'd be lying if I said that I am an avid reader who reads every day. Does this in any way make me an unfit applicant?
There are past papers from 2007 to 2020 on here: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/admissions/elat/

I am applying for Law, so there is also a lot of independent studying and reading. You will have to get used to reading a tonne of books for English at Cambridge University.

Good luck.
danimototo
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
There are past papers from 2007 to 2020 on here: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/admissions/elat/

I am applying for Law, so there is also a lot of independent studying and reading. You will have to get used to reading a tonne of books for English at Cambridge University.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your help and advice. Also good luck with applying for Law, hopefully everything turns out alright
Blue Guitar
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danimototo)
Thank you very much for your help and advice. Also good luck with applying for Law, hopefully everything turns out alright
Just letting you know that Cambridge discontinued the ELAT this year. They’ll conduct their own assessment if you receive an offer for an interview. The preparation will probably be just as useful though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads