Guide: Getting out of an unconditional offer and applying through Clearing

Watch this thread
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Guide: Getting out of an unconditional offer and applying through Clearing

Are you holding an unconditional offer but no longer want that place? If you are eligible, you can do this from 5th July onwards - this will be when Clearing opens. Releasing yourself into Clearing means that you are now able to apply to other courses that have vacancies on your UCAS Hub. However, in that moment you will hold no offers and therefore no university place. Any place you previously held will be released and you will have no claim to this.

The below information is taken from the UCAS website:
You can release yourself into Clearing, by using the 'Decline your place' button in your application. This is available until 7th September 2022.

It is highly recommended that you speak to your school/college/advisor before making this decision, as well as ensuring you actually have a verbal offer from a university.

In terms of if you want to stay at the same university, but change courses, then you will have to get in contact with your university first and foremost.

Something important to note:
Using the button (Decline your place) in your application will mean any arrangements you have made for accommodation or scholarships will also be cancelled.

Releasing yourself into Clearing means your place at the university will be declined and therefore your contract with then cancelled, in turn you will lose that place. Please ensure you are completely certain that you no longer want your place before using this button. It is difficult to press this button by accident, since UCAS will ask you to complete a little drop-down questionnaire.

In the UCAS page linked above, there are some very useful FAQs:
- I declined my place by accident or I now wish I hadn't - what should I do?
Please contact your university (the one you just decline a place from) immediately, there is a possibility that your place was offered to another applicant (if this happens, you may not be able to get that place back). Explain that you made a mistake and you still want that place, they should explain the steps to take next.

- Will I lose my insurance place if I decline my firm place?
Yes. If you decline your firm place, you will enter Clearing. Please contact your insurance place to see if they will accept (if you prefer to go with them instead of your firm) you before declining your firm place.

- Can I decline my place if it is still 'conditional firm'?
No, you will not be able to do this. UCAS advises that you need to wait until the univerisity or college to update your offer to either unconditional or unsuccessful. The best course of action is to contact the university to find out more information, as they may still be considering you, even if you did not get the required grades.

- I've added a course in Clearing, but I'm not able to decline this - why?
Wait for the university to either accept you in Clearing - this is called 'Clearing Accept' and after this you can decline the offer or they can make you unsuccessful, for you to then use Clearing again.

- I've accepted an uncondtional course change offer - can I decline this?
Yes, you can do this. You can click the 'Decline my place' button. After this please follow the steps mentioned at the start of the post

The following FAQs are taken from the thread linked below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...93&postcount=6

- What is the 'decline your place' button and how does it work?
Essentially, this button allows an applicant who holds an unconditional offer to place themselves into Clearing. This declines their place and allows them to apply to other universities which have vacancies. This can be done via UCAS Track and doesn’t require the applicant to contact the university they want to be released from.

- Who can decline their place and is it open to everyone?
'Decline my place' is open to any applicant who has been placed with a university and has an unconditional offer. You might have an unconditional offer early, if you already had your results, or, more commonly, your offer will turn unconditional on Results Day, once you meet the conditions set out in your offer.

If you are eligible, you will see a button on your UCAS Track stating ‘Decline my place’ from 5th July.

- When should I release myself into Clearing?
You can press the button from any time when you have an unconditional offer, however you should only actually press the "decline my place" button once you have a verbal offer from a university. Of course, you should only release once you are satisfied you are completely sure you do not wish to attend the university you have been placed with.

- What are the benefits of releasing yourself into Clearing?
Firstly, it’s a lot quicker than the old method. It can be done in a matter of minutes. You’re also totally in control - you aren’t relying on administrative staff from a university. It’s also hoped that this method will reduce a lot of stress associated with Clearing.

- What are the risks?
Once you are placed in Clearing, your place at your original university becomes available to others. There is no easy way to reverse this and it may mean you lose your place.

Additionally, if you place yourself in Clearing and subsequently fail to secure a place at a new university (for example, if you don’t find anything you like the look of or if universities aren’t willing to offer you a place) then you may find yourself without any offers and facing the possibility of needing to reapply.

This therefore isn’t a decision you should take lightly.

Please click here for more information regarding Clearing. The page linked here explains what Clearing is, how you can become eligible to release yourself into Clearing and more information on how to apply using Clearing.

Have any questions that aren’t answered here? Need more information before making a decision? Post below and one of our UCAS trained Applications and Clearing Advisers will do their best to help!

We’d also recommend that you take a look at our Mega Clearing FAQs thread which you can find here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7234480
Last edited by KA_P; 1 month ago
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
CLEARING IS OPEN FROM TODAY ONWARDS

I am wishing you the best of luck! :hugs:

Name:  Screenshot_2022-07-07-11-13-08-32_abb9c8060a0a12c5ac89e934e52a2f4f.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  93.9 KB
Last edited by KA_P; 4 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s worth remembering that the Decline my place button is only available to unconditional firm applicants.
If your firm choice is still conditional (either because you don’t have your results or because your firm university hasn’t sent a decision to ucas) then the button won’t be available
Excused
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi I applied to a university for psychology course through extras and have got conditional offer because ucas has not still passed my grades to the university. Can I decline my offer after results day if I get offer from any other university and add that as my clearing choice?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Excused)
Hi I applied to a university for psychology course through extras and have got conditional offer because ucas has not still passed my grades to the university. Can I decline my offer after results day if I get offer from any other university and add that as my clearing choice?
Yes, you can decline an Extra choice in the same way as an offer from the main part of the application cycle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (20)
31.25%
Take a gap year (14)
21.88%
Resit my exams (12)
18.75%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (8)
12.5%
I don't know yet (7)
10.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.69%

Watched Threads