Inequalities

Watch this thread
Student 999
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Struggling to approach part ii, I understand that for any cubic there will always be 2 turning points, hence why g^2>4h is not necessary.

To go about showing it isn't I thought I would consider the cases of the discriminate of the quadratic polynomial for the other two cases and try subbing into the equation that we're trying to prove but it doesn't seem to workName:  Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 15.17.51.png
Views: 6
Size:  116.3 KB
Last edited by Student 999; 1 month ago
Student 999
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  IMG_DD3F2DF42413-1.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  41.9 KBIs this the approach, I can't seem to think of any way to reason that the last line is valid unless somehow proving that gk is always >0
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student 999)
Name:  IMG_DD3F2DF42413-1.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  41.9 KBIs this the approach, I can't seem to think of any way to reason that the last line is valid unless somehow proving that gk is always >0
For me, it looks like they want you to use the part a) result and note that g^2 > 4h is just a rewritten discrimant inequality > 0.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Student 999
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
For me, it looks like they want you to use the part a) result and note that g^2 > 4h is just a rewritten discrimant inequality > 0.
I see so just proof of the same inequality and a reason why's its sufficient not necessary is enough
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student 999)
I see so just proof of the same inequality and a reason why's its sufficient not necessary is enough
Im not sure what youve done, but that could be ok.
Id probably interpret it using the previous result, rather than proving it again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads