The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Slothuus
If I do a 4 year MA in Scotland and then want to continue my studies, I will still have to do a 'regular' MA? Is that then a postgraduate MA?

Yes.
Reply 21
hobnob
So which (non-Scottish) universities do this in a comparable way, then?:confused:

Award undergraduate MAs? Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin - in other words, all the ancient universities in the British Isles.
Reply 22
L i b
Award undergraduate MAs? Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin - in other words, all the ancient universities in the British Isles.

Well, but that's a different kind of undergraduate MA, isn't it? Oxford and Cambridge offer what are essentially regular three-year BA-degrees which are only converted into MAs later on. There's no extra year or anything else involved. From what little I know about the Scottish system, I'd say it's quite different, so I don't really see what's so wrong with speaking of "Scottish MAs" when you're talking about undergraduate MAs as awarded by Scottish universities, just to distinguish them from others.:dontknow:
Reply 23
Hi, I know this is an old post but I just wanted to clarify. I left school at 16, did higher English (Scottish higher) Psychology and History at my local college as a one year crash higher course and was granted direct entry into 2nd year of the MA (hons)English lit and film degree at the university of Dundee. The comment about English students getting direct entry and Scottish students having to go into 1st year is not what I have ever seen or experienced. My friends that said at school did advanced higher English but were not granted direct entry. I was told my lecturer at uni that It is based on the quality of work, grades and what the department head thinks you are capable of. I gave them my portfolio I did at college and that was enough for them.

Latest

Trending

Trending