The Student Room Group

How do you think the school curriculum will look in 10 years time?

The current national curriculum was first introduced into schools in September 2014, and sets out the programmes of study for all subjects at all 4 key stages. When the curriculum was changed in 2014, it was designed to be more challenging and to focus more on core subject knowledge and skills.

We want to know your thoughts!
How do you think the curriculum will look in 10 years time?
What do you think should be changed about the current curriculum? Why?
What do you think the curriculum should focus more on in the future?

Post your thoughts and ideas below!

More curriculum conversations like this

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think there will almost definitely some mandatory coding classes which everyone perhaps in the first two years of secondary school will have to complete.
They should focus on stuff like taxes etc.
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I think there will almost definitely some mandatory coding classes which everyone perhaps in the first two years of secondary school will have to complete.

Why do you think there should be? Do you know how to code? (I do not)

Original post by gtty123

Definitely. My school spoke to us about loans, taxes etc a bit but it was one of those once every 3 month PSHE day sorta things so nobody really knew anything at all.

Do you think there should be set lessons on these things were everyone is taught about it every week (like other subjects)?
Original post by thrivingfrog
Why do you think there should be? Do you know how to code? (I do not)

Definitely. My school spoke to us about loans, taxes etc a bit but it was one of those once every 3 month PSHE day sorta things so nobody really knew anything at all.

Do you think there should be set lessons on these things were everyone is taught about it every week (like other subjects)?

I don't know how to code, but it's becoming more and more mainstream and advantageous in the job market. I know I definitely wouldn't want to work in that field, but if people are given the opportunity at a young age they might find that its something they really enjoy

Yeah, definitely. Imagine how much better off people would be. When they leave the 'school bubble', they become overwhelmed by how much actually goes on in life.
I think they should prepare for students better for the real world, and focus on issues students will go on to face.
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I don't know how to code, but it's becoming more and more mainstream and advantageous in the job market. I know I definitely wouldn't want to work in that field, but if people are given the opportunity at a young age they might find that its something they really enjoy

Fair point fair point. Looking back, would you have wanted to have been taught it/feel you would've benefitted from learning it?
Original post by randompanda_
I think they should prepare for students better for the real world, and focus on issues students will go on to face.

Any issues in particular you think should be covered?
Original post by gtty123

I hear this argument a lot. What in particular about taxes would you have liked to have been taught? I must admit, I'm surprised at how many people think that once you are in the higher tax bracket, you pay 40% on everything you earn.
(edited 1 year ago)
Any issues in particular you think should be covered?

I think some such as: finances, mental health, cybersecurity, first aid / self defence, how the legal system works etc
Original post by randompanda_
I think some such as: finances, mental health, cybersecurity, first aid / self defence, how the legal system works etc

Definitely agree with these, legal system is one I hadn't really thought of before.

This may just be in my experience but my school did speak to us about mental health, where to find help etc but only ever really discussed anxiety/depression, things such as EDs and bipolar were never mentioned. Was this the same for you? (As in, do you think a wider range of mental illnesses should be discussed, or were you not taught about any at all?)
Definitely agree with these, legal system is one I hadn't really thought of before.

This may just be in my experience but my school did speak to us about mental health, where to find help etc but only ever really discussed anxiety/depression, things such as EDs and bipolar were never mentioned. Was this the same for you? (As in, do you think a wider range of mental illnesses should be discussed, or were you not taught about any at all?)

I feel like the legal system is really misunderstood :s-smilie:

Yeahh it was taught a bit but again it was only anxiety/depression, other mental illness def need to be talked about more as they're never mentioned, I feel like all of them should be taught and brought awareness too as there are so many others that are common like EDs and bpd etc.
Original post by Jpw1097
I hear this argument a lot. What in particular about taxes would you have liked to have been taught? I must admit, I'm surprised at how many people think that once you are in the higher tax bracket, you pay 40% on everything you earn.

How tax is used, the history behind it and a comparison of tax regulations elsewhere etc. There are multiple benefits in learning about tax.
I bet they’re gonna change the A level and GCSE specifications within the next decade. The department of education or whoever it is seems to like changing the specification every 7 ish years.

I can’t say for certain whether they’ll simplify the content or make it more advanced, though. Part of me says they’ll make exams harder and the content more advanced.

I sadly don’t see them scrapping exam boards or higher/foundation tiers, though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
I bet they’re gonna change the A level and GCSE specifications within the next decade. The department of education or whoever it is seems to like changing the specification every 7 ish years.

I can’t say for certain whether they’ll simplify the content or make it more advanced, though. Part of me says they’ll make exams harder and the content more advanced.

I sadly don’t see them scrapping exam boards or higher/foundation tiers, though.

Would you want them to scrap exam boards and tiers? Why?
Would you want them to scrap exam boards and tiers? Why?

Exam boards = no standardisation whatsoever, in part due to different content taught across the same subjects and also the difficulty of each course differs, so some are either better or worse preparation for further study.

Tiers are just plain old stupid. They prevent initially lower attainers (usually made to do foundation and are restricted to a grade 5) who accelerate towards the end being rewarded for their efforts.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
Exam boards = no standardisation whatsoever, in part due to different content taught across the same subjects and also the difficulty of each course differs, so some are either better or worse preparation for further study.

Tiers are just plain old stupid. They prevent initially lower attainers who accelerate towards the end being rewarded for their efforts.

Definitely agree with the first point.
In terms of tiers though, people can move tiers throughout the year (this happened quite a lot in my year group). I think that although there are cons to tiers, they can be beneficial to those who may not be as confident in a subject because as the questions are easier, there is a higher chance of them passing.
Definitely agree with the first point.
In terms of tiers though, people can move tiers throughout the year (this happened quite a lot in my year group). I think that although there are cons to tiers, they can be beneficial to those who may not be as confident in a subject because as the questions are easier, there is a higher chance of them passing.

I disagree about the lattermost point. Look at the GCSE maths grade boundaries, for example. Considering something like 35% of all the marks available on a higher tier maths paper are accessible to foundation tier students and a grade 6 on higher tier only needs a little more than this, they would be better off doing higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending