The Student Room Group

Advice

Someone close to me has recently been diagnosed with binge eating. She only told me yesterday. What are some of things I can do to help them? We live 1 hour away, and she’s my family. I’ve been trying to read up on it but it just makes it worse for me. I was up all night worrying about her.
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
Someone close to me has recently been diagnosed with binge eating. She only told me yesterday. What are some of things I can do to help them? We live 1 hour away, and she’s my family. I’ve been trying to read up on it but it just makes it worse for me. I was up all night worrying about her.

The only thing you can do is just let her know that you’ll be there for her if she wants to talk about it and try to be as understanding as possible.
Original post by RandomE
The only thing you can do is just let her know that you’ll be there for her if she wants to talk about it and try to be as understanding as possible.

Should I ask about it, and see if she’s getting help? I want to but I’m scared that it might make it worse
I had the opposite problem and some things that helped me were encouragement whenever I tried to eat. Do not try talking about it too much, it makes it awkward and makes it way worse. Try getting them a small gift and show your full support. Look out for them too, I know the distance is a bit annoying but when you see them do not say anything but if you see it is getting worse try explaining that you are always available to talk too. Just be open minded and understanding, they will appreciate that most <3
Original post by Wannabevetnurse

There is really not much you can do, other than supporting them of course.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest