Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should disabled people be allowed to park on doube yellow lines? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is really annoying me at the moment.

Double yellow lines are put there because it is actually dangerous to park there - yet disbaled people are allowed to park on it - doesnt make it any less dangerous - they are going to make someone else disabled if they arent careful.

I know disabled people have badges for a reason - and i do feel for them - but wouldnt more disbaled spaces be better as at the moment where i live its getting really dangerous. Its a stupid rule and something needs to be done about it

what your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think they were allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    Disabled people aren't allowed to park on double yellow...

ReputationRep:
    :nah:

You can't park there.

Lobby for some double reds instead.

ReputationRep:
    they arent actually allowed to park there?

ReputationRep:
    Disabled people are not allowed to park on double yellow lines, just like everyone else.

EDIT: Just found this.... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Over50s/...ty/DG_10026842 (look under blue badge parking scheme0

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are for three hours or less, and it can be a lifesaver, especially if it's near a pharmacy or something and there's no parking.
    They need to make sure they're not parked dangerously though =)

EDIT: They also don't pay the congestion charge, but the double yellow lines with little perpendicular lines they're not allowed to park on. That's why you see them a lot in pay for car parks.

ReputationRep:
    yes they are allowed to

but personally, i dont think they should

ReputationRep:
    ^They do around here. They shouldn't be allowed to IMO, they should park in the normal street spaces like everyone else...around here is roadside parking,disabled accessibility is the same as on the double yellows. I've been blocked from leaving my street due to cars on double yellows (gets very narrow at the end).

Also, I just wondered what everybody else thought about parking in a disabled space at the supermarket or wherever when there are no normal spaces available? Would you do it? I would...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    Also, I just wondered what everybody else thought about parking in a disabled space at the supermarket or wherever when there are no normal spaces available? Would you do it? I would...
    Seeing people do that really gets on my Hampton. I suppose I should be in the driver's shoes, in a hurry or whatever, no spaces avaliable, but it's illegal..

You've got a spelling disability, maybe you can park on d. yellows too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    I hate people who do but they provide too many these days so I can see why people do, along with mother and child spaces.
    I agree with the OP, disabled or not, you should not be allowed to park on double yellows. Most people want equality and all that rubbish and therefore you either let everyone park on double yellows (get rid of them basically) or let no one.

ReputationRep:
    It bugs me so much when people park in disabled bays who clearly aren't disabled. My grandma can barely walk, and it's so ungrateful.
    Sometimes she has to park a 3 min walk from the supermarket, and one of the employees needs to drive her can to collect her, because she's in so much pain and her heart hurts.
    If there are _no_ other spaces, can't we just wait for them, like other normal people? I know it can seem a bit crazy when there are loads of disabled bays free, but you just need to look at them as they are: a place that's off limits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    It bugs me so much when people park in disabled bays who clearly aren't disabled. My grandma can barely walk, and it's so ungrateful.
    has she actually got a disability? or is just because shes old?

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why disabled people should get special treatment. I dont want to walk in the rain as much as some one doesnt want to get pushed in a wheel chair in the rain

ReputationRep:
    If someone really is truly disabled should they even be driving at all? That is disturbing.

More disturbing however are 'Parent and Child Spaces'. If you voluntarily breed children you are presumably healthy and well off enough to jolly well walk across the car park. As a result I disregard them at all times and just park in that particular zone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    I dont understand why disabled people should get special treatment. I dont want to walk in the rain as much as some one doesnt want to get pushed in a wheel chair in the rain
    your assumption that everyone who is disabled requires a wheelchair is complete and utter garbage. disabled spaces allow disabled people to park closer to places so they don't have to walk as far (maybe because walking is extremely painful or because walking too far could cause damage to them). It is nothing to do with avoiding the rain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    has she actually got a disability? or is just because shes old?
    Unfortunately, she's got bad fybromyalgia, ME, heart problems, diabetes, the list goes on...
    She has a massive plastic bag for all her prescriptions.

You people do know how hard it is to get a blue badge. right? It's not a walk in the park by any stretch.
    But people can get it from being agoraphobic, which is completely debilitating, but everyone thinks it's a bit of a joke really... I mean, it's a title on this forum ffs
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by goodmen)
    Well some people who genuinely have problems walking shouldn't be made to walk from the back of a car park round to the front where they want to go - convenient spots make it easier on them. The rest of us are perfectly able-bodied and there's no reason why we can't walk from the back to the front without any problems. It's probably safer if you're partially blind or something, too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    If someone really is truly disabled should they even be driving at all? That is disturbing.
    There are many many different disabilities which may require a blue badge, where driving is not a problem! Someone with lung problems is perfectly capable of driving and even people with amputations can drive provided appropriate adjustments are made to their vehicle.
    What is your definition of a 'true disability?'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.