would it be stupid to go to England for uni even tho i live in scotland and free here

Watch this thread
mentocornroast
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
ion rlly like scotland tbh and like what’s the student loan gonna be like if i go to England for uni
username5741914
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Maybe a little bit. I’d want to know that the course in England was offering something unique that I couldn’t get in Scotland. Student loans and course fees can easily exceed £60k for three years. It’s different from ordinary debt - you won’t necessarily ever pay it back and I wouldn’t let it put me off taking the right course for me. But you have an opportunity to avoid that debt, so I’d definitely see that as an incentive to stay in Scotland until after you graduate.
mentocornroast
Rep:
(Original post by doublestrokeroll)
Maybe a little bit. I’d want to know that the course in England was offering something unique that I couldn’t get in Scotland. Student loans and course fees can easily exceed £60k for three years. It’s different from ordinary debt - you won’t necessarily ever pay it back and I wouldn’t let it put me off taking the right course for me. But you have an opportunity to avoid that debt, so I’d definitely see that as an incentive to stay in Scotland until after you graduate.
okay thank you for your reply 😁
Idk131
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Omg you guys are so lucky that it is free! If you don't mind.. can I ask why it is free?
Last edited by Idk131; 1 month ago
uberteknik
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Idk131)
Omg you guys are so lucky that it is free! If you don't mind.. can I ask why it is free?
Coz the laughing midget is using it to buy the student vote for Scottish independence
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 month ago
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mentocornroast)
ion rlly like scotland tbh and like what’s the student loan gonna be like if i go to England for uni
Stay in Scotland if you can
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mentocornroast)
Depends if you expect to land a lucrative job after graduating.

If you are expecting not to earn a lot to the point where the repayments are tiny each month then go where you like

If you are expecting to land a high paying job to the point where the repayment start to look eye-watering each month then stay in Scotland.

Although student debt isn't the same as a commercial loan, do not underestimate the impact of 9% of income above £27k being taken away from you.
mentocornroast
Rep:
(Original post by Idk131)
i don’t know why it’s free but i just know that the scottish government made univeristy free if you live in scotland i think it has to be like over 5 years living here
mentocornroast
Rep:
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Depends if you expect to land a lucrative job after graduating.

If you are expecting not to earn a lot to the point where the repayments are tiny each month then go where you like

If you are expecting to land a high paying job to the point where the repayment start to look eye-watering each month then stay in Scotland.

Although student debt isn't the same as a commercial loan, do not underestimate the impact of 9% of income above £27k being taken away from you.
thank you for your reply 🙏
sickofthis
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Really depends on what uni you’re thinking of going to in England? If you’ve already decided on a really good uni in Scotland as opposed to an average one in England, then probably not. If you’re thinking of a high ranking one in England, then probably would make sense. If it’s a money issue, then staying in Scotland is understandable. Up to you at the end of the day
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In my opinion, yes. Unless you're escaping a dire home situation.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Unless you are planning to go to Oxbridge, stick to Scotland and get your education for free.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads