Work-related vent. Why are some people like this?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just that I've had a rough couple of days at work and need to get it off my chest. Any advice is welcome though. Sorry it's long and thanks for taking the time to read.

I work for a large social media company, primarily from home until they decide to bring us back to the office.

We have serious issues with certain people abusing the work status button (available; email backlog).

Available basically means you're working, receiving calls and emails. Email backlog, you'd use if you have backed up work and need to finish before you get any new cases.

Sometimes people use EB if they need a break.

Some people stay on EB for hours, despite the fact they have no workload.

Two of them really got on my nerves these last two days.

I'll connect in the morning on Available. I get 3-5 calls off the bat and a few emails. I'm like wtf is going on?

I see the two of them on EB for the last hour or so.

This morning, same ****, so I write a message asking them to go available.

One of them starts barking up that she's always using EB properly which is absolute BS. I could go into detail of course, but believe me she's one of the laziest people I've worked with. She just doesn't care at all.

I wouldn't care either, but the thing is her lack of work affects the whole team, including for pay and bonuses.

I didn't reply to her or the other woman who chimed in later. I was so ****ing livid though.

Does anyone have this at their work currently?

How do you deal with it?

Do you think I should notify anyone?

Thanks again for reading!
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If the whole team's pay is affected instead of just theirs, report them ASAP. There's taking a few extra minutes and hardly working at all.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SagaciousSag)
If the whole team's pay is affected instead of just theirs, report them ASAP. There's taking a few extra minutes and hardly working at all.
Exactly, I mean I take a break for 5 mins every once and a while. Especially if I've done a lot of work. But these ****s are plainly abusing it and taking our boss for granted. He's a good guy but he's too ****ing nice.

I have a colleague who's on the verge of leaving, and she still does her work. You have another who's leaving in under a month, and she's basically given up or can't be bothered.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately lazy coworkers are a part of life, as are the office troublemakers.
Many workplaces are brimming with an abundance of bluffing opportunists and lazy jerk coworkers both of whom make a habit of doing as little work as they can possibly get away with.
Often the lazy ones are also malicious troublemakers or overbearing petty tyrants.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Phone your supervisor and ask if you can have a conversation, in strictest confidence.

Try to secretly record this conversation.

In the conversation, tell him that you want to give him feedback on the members of the team and how you're finding working with them.
If he cuts you off and won't listen to what you have to say, contact the supervisor's supervisor and have an in confidence conversation with her or him.

Talk about the people that you think are good workers and say why you think they are good. Then get onto the worst workers with an explanation of why you think they are bad. Ask if there's any metrics that the company has that backs up your statements.
Tell him about the incident when you messaged them to become available.
Say that you realise that this puts the supervisor in an awkward position.
Say that you think that productivity and profitability are highly important.
Mention the effect on morale that this is having with people looking to leave the company because they're fed up with this.
Have a pre-prepared recommended solution. If the bad workers are in their first 6 months of employment, the solution would be to dismiss them. Otherwise redundancy might be the solution.
Also mention any good points about the bad worker - eg when they are working their work is to a decent standard.

If your supervisor has an excessively weak response to this, contact his supervisor and discuss the lazy worker situation and the weak response. With a recommended solution that the senior managers either replace your supervisor or impose a round of redundancies.

One way to look at it is to imagine that you are the owner of the company. What would you want an employee in your situation to do? Would you want them to keep quiet about what's going on? Or would you want them to discuss it in confidence with the management?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (40)
36.04%
They're exactly what I expected (27)
24.32%