Is it harder to find jobs with an apprenticeship instead of a degree?

Watch this thread
student_262
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve left secondary school, and will soon go to sixth form (to study A Level Physics, Maths, Economics). I wanted to do an apprenticeship after finishing my A Levels because I don’t think I’ll be able to afford to go uni. I’m not entirely sure what apprenticeships are yet but I was talking to someone (older) about it and they said that employers only want people with degrees, is that the case? if someone could explain what apprenticeships are and the difference between that and uni that would helpful, and where I could do more research on this
Last edited by student_262; 1 month ago
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student_262)
I’ve left secondary school, and will soon go to sixth form (to study A Level Physics, Maths, Economics). I wanted to do an apprenticeship after finishing my A Levels because I don’t think I’ll be able to afford to go uni (due to religious reasons I cannot go down the student loan route). I’m not entirely sure what apprenticeships are yet but I was talking to someone (older) about it and they said that employers only want people with degrees, is that the case? + if someone could explain what apprenticeships are and the difference between that and uni that would helpful, and where I could do more research on this
:curious:
Samii.A
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
so to understand what apprenticeships are, i think this page explains it well: https://www.ucas.com/apprenticeships...eships-england
and i completely understand your reasons for not being able to go down the uni route, but you can still go to uni without having to take the student loan and that is through degree apprenticeships which is basically a degree that you will study for part time while going to uni full time and the employer pays your salary and your degree fully, so no having to get student loan.
The problem with apprenticeships especially degree apprenticeships is that they are really competitive so you really need to stand out during the application process.
Also depending on the industry you want to go into, apprenticeships can be scarce and you have to really know what industry you want to go into, its not as general as normal uni.
Nowadays employers are looking more for experience than degrees so don't worry about the degree part, but if you get onto a degree apprenticeship, you get 3+ years of experience and a degree, so you'll definetly stand out if you decide to leave the employer after finishing the apprenticeship and want to find another job.
I hope this helps? Let me know if you have any further questions
Mara1680
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student_262)
I’ve left secondary school, and will soon go to sixth form (to study A Level Physics, Maths, Economics). I wanted to do an apprenticeship after finishing my A Levels because I don’t think I’ll be able to afford to go uni. I’m not entirely sure what apprenticeships are yet but I was talking to someone (older) about it and they said that employers only want people with degrees, is that the case? if someone could explain what apprenticeships are and the difference between that and uni that would helpful, and where I could do more research on this
I suppose it might depend on the sector and I can only speak for mine (engineering + manufacturing) but apprentices are MORE employable than fresh graduates.

During an apprenticeship you study for a qualification(s) which can be a degree (like in my case) whilst also getting on the job experience.

Imagine you're an employer and you want to hire somebody. Person A just graduated from uni. Person 2 has relevant qualifications plus 5 years of experience in the field. (Which also means that they have good or at least decent time management and teamworking skills which are very important for an employer).
CaitlinmSmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mara1680)
I suppose it might depend on the sector and I can only speak for mine (engineering + manufacturing) but apprentices are MORE employable than fresh graduates.

During an apprenticeship you study for a qualification(s) which can be a degree (like in my case) whilst also getting on the job experience.

Imagine you're an employer and you want to hire somebody. Person A just graduated from uni. Person 2 has relevant qualifications plus 5 years of experience in the field. (Which also means that they have good or at least decent time management and teamworking skills which are very important for an employer).
Perfect explanation !!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads