The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography: degree vs degree apprenticeship

Hello,

I have a choice between doing a degree apprenticeship or an actual degree and I can't pick one. I'm worried that a degree apprenticeship will somehow put me at a disadvantage. What are your thoughts on it? Which one should I do?
Original post by godaa6
Hello,

I have a choice between doing a degree apprenticeship or an actual degree and I can't pick one. I'm worried that a degree apprenticeship will somehow put me at a disadvantage. What are your thoughts on it? Which one should I do?

It won't put you at a disadvantage in terms of qualifications - they are the same whichever route you take. The big advantage is that with the apprenticeship you will be earning as you learn.
Also, assuming it operates the same as it in my department, as an apprentice you're not a student, you're an employee of the trust. Meaning that when you finish the course, as long as you meet their requirements you automatically have a job as a radiographer.

You will have to stay employed with that trust for a certain number of years after you qualify though, which is pretty standard for most apprenticeships anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest